Skip to main content

When God Doesn't Do The "Right Thing."


Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor. Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me.” (Matthew 11:4-6)

Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: “ ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.” (Matthew 26:31-32)

            In Sunday School yesterday, we watched a sermon by Andy Stanley that discussed the first passage. The second passage is one I have loved for a long time because the Greek includes an interesting word. The Greek word translated "fall away" is the same word from which we get the word "scandal." The same term can be translated  cause to sin, cause to fall into sin, offend, to fall away (from the faith), to go astray, to offend.  The same idea is in mind when Paul refers to "the stumbling stone" in Romans 9:32.and Peter in I Peter 2:8.
           As Pastor Stanley described the scene, John the Baptist was in prison and starting to wonder if maybe he'd been wrong. He sent Jesus a message about what He was, and was not doing. He was fulfilling prophecies. He was not fixing John's situation and he was not overthrowing the Romans. Both were things that John, as Jesus' cousin and a Jew had reason to expect. Both would have been good things, but Jesus wasn't cooperating.
     This is the sort of thing we all face on a daily basis. There are good things we think God ought to do. We can't understand why God doesn't do them. Some people ask it quite bluntly, "How can a good God allow bad things to happen to good people?" They usually assume that they are among the good people, and they may be right, to some extent. But God doesn't answer, and He doesn't do the good thing, and people trip and fall over God not doing what they know to be best. They are offended that God doesn't agree with them, doesn't act on their advice, does not submit to their judgment. After all, they're right. But...they aren't God. They do not know what God knows.
           What would have happened if Jesus had freed John? Given the sort of person King Herod was, it's hard to say, but slaughter comes to mind. All we can do is speculate. What would happen if God saw things our way? I think He does, more often than we notice, but the very fact that He can say "no," that He might say "no" galls us because when it comes down to it, His saying "no" means that He is God and we are not. We stumble over God being God. 
           All of this means that by definition, those who do not stumble over God being God, who are not offended by God not doing what we desire, expect or correctly view to be good are blessed because they have made peace with that boulder of truth against which we all kick, that God is God and we are not.

Comments

  1. Continuing our class discussion yesterday -- Jesus' words to John quoted from Isaiah's description of the coming Messiah. John then would have understood with certainty that the Messiah was not a political or military leader. John would have understood that Jesus would not be performing a miracle to release John. John knew that his own work was finished. He had preached the message of repentance and baptism, he had revealed the Messiah. Sadly, he knew THIS life to be over -- but wait . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t