Skip to main content

Victory

 

 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.  For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?  For since in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,  but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength. (I Corinthians 1:8-25)

 

            We sometimes hear about our living in an upside-down world. Upside-down, inside-out, twisted, fallen… and we’re often just as confused as everyone else. Years ago, I read a Christian science fiction novel about which the only thing I remember is that the hero died at the end in a way that shouted “failure!” to me, but in the book, was declared to be a victory because the hero had not yielded to temptation. I recall being irritated with the ending then, but that’s precisely where we stand today.

          If you read the social media about COVID-19, you’ll likely read that everyone else in the world is winning, and the US is losing. When the warnings first started circulating, I found myself frustrated because historically, Christians have run toward pandemics. We have risked our lives to help but there seemed nothing I could do. There’s still nothing I can do. Like everyone else in the world, I sit by, waiting, feeling like a failure.

          I felt something of the same thing at church on Sunday. The sermon was about missions. Pastor Mike quoted John Piper, who said that there are “zealous goers, zealous senders, and the disobedient.” And I found myself frustrated because when we think of missions, the idea is always sending people to Africa, South America, or Asia, while we are doing so little in our hometowns. Where are the zealous goers and senders here?

          What is the “grand and glorious” dreams of running toward the pandemic and being a zealous goer or sender to the far-flung lost – as good as they might be – are not the real victory? I’m not saying they’re wrong, but we assume they are the goals. What if they’re not, precisely because they are grand and glorious dreams? What if the real victory is trusting God whatever our circumstances? What if the victory is learning to hope despite the pandemic? What if it is to pray, and pray some more, not just for ourselves, but for those around us, and our enemies? What if the running toward the pandemic we need to be doing is spiritual rather than physical?

          What if the victory is to be found in sharing God’s Word, and God’s music, and God’s joy on-line? What if victory is found in not getting bogged down in the bog of hatred, or hopelessness, or even boredom?

         There is a spiritual battle going on that is more important than our physical circumstances. There may be no better time to be a “fool” and win a victory – and chances are good, it starts inside, without ourselves and our attitudes.

         

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo