Skip to main content

Abba

 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. (Romans 8:14-17) 

I have heard it suggested that if God were a good God, and an all-powerful God, that He could and should make it so that no evil could be done. One of the ideas behind this claim is the belief that man is good – or would be good if external forces didn’t make it necessary to be evil. In my experience, people do evil for reasons that have nothing to do with external pressures. Two people could face the same temptation – the same external pressures – and one do evil while the other does good.  Change the external pressure, and the one would do good while the other does evil. It goes back to the old warning – “Don’t join a perfect church. You’ll ruin it.” And we all think that we’re the exception to that rule.

          They insist that God could have – and should have – done that. It would have involved one of two options (as I see it.) He could have made us into robots or dolls instead of people. We would and could do nothing unless He specifically caused us to do it. Or, He could put us into the equivalent of the Matrix, in which we could do everything we wished because it would be all in our minds. But, at the same time, He couldn’t do either of those things, because if He did those things, He would not be who He is.

          I have an agnostic friend who was quite disappointed when I pointed out that after a lifetime of not drinking, not swearing, and not doing all those other things, if I turned away from God, I would still not do them. Rejecting God would not make alcohol taste better and I see no reason to use foul language – my own language is far more interesting.

          But what those who suggest that God should have made things according to their idea are not seeing God as He is presented in this passage – as the Father we would call “Daddy” (the meaning of Abba) or Father. Such a parent as they desire would not be a good parent at all. He would certainly not be the sort of Father that one could approach with a problem, a need, or a desire. He could not be the sort of Father who could find anything of value in His children as people, nor could He have hope for them.

          I struggle with the Abba, Daddy idea – I’ll admit. It doesn’t seem respectful to me, and as a result, part of me says that it’s disrespectful, not loving or familial. I know my thinking is wrong here, and that’s part of the reason I’m looking at the verse today. And  I find comfort that we have an alternative. We don’t have to call Him, “Abba” or “Daddy.” We can call Him, “Father.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t