Skip to main content

Weeds

 Jesus told them another parable: 

The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

The owner’s servants came to him and said, “Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?”

 “An enemy did this,” he replied.

The servants asked him, “Do you want us to go and pull them up?”

“No,” he answered, “because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them.  Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.” (Matthew 13:24-30)

The perfect field, sowed with good seed, and then…weeds. I know the feeling. It often seems as if someone or something is out to ruin my crops by planting weeds. Some of them are useful. Some aren’t. And sometimes, as with my aloe bed, weeding uproots the thing you want there. Life is often a lot like that and sometimes we ask how a good God can allow bad things like weeds and hurricanes.

Today’s passage tells us that an enemy sowed the weeds. Let’s just consider the weeds of sin and doubt sowed in the third chapter of Genesis. Like so many weeds, pulling them out once isn’t enough. I have a great example. I accidentally planted lemon balm in my garden a long time ago. I don’t find much in my yard, but I pull them from both neighbors’ yards. Weeds have been infesting our souls for millennia and spread from one soul’s “garden” to the next.

One of the challenges we face is the fact that we don’t know our weeds. Some of what we are tempted to call “weeds” are companion plants that benefit what we want in our gardens, or plants that are good for us -like Dandelions and Cleavers. Sometimes, the things we think are bad are actually good for us.

Another challenge is the fact that we like to see ourselves as the wheat. We’re the good stuff that needs to be protected. Or we think things in our lives that are weeds are wheat. We  may ask God to get rid of the weeds in our lives, then repeatedly tell him, “Oh, don’t touch that!” Sometimes, God knows that removing a particular weed from its location may damage something He wants to grow in us. We may not understand it, but God uses and works around the weeds in our lives for our benefit. (The hurricane I mentioned earlier is an example. Hurricanes are good for the environment even when they’re bad for us.)

Sometimes, a good God allows bad things in our lives because removing them now would damage us. He also didn’t remove all the nations from the Promised Land before Israel crossed the Jordan because, ultimately, that would have made things worse for Israel. In our simplistic thinking, we don’t understand this, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.