Skip to main content

One?


 “I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one.” (John 17:6-11)

  What a goal! To be one as Jesus and the Father are one. The Trinity as One. I think I can understand the Father, the Son and the Spirit as one. I think I can understand them as three. I can’t understand them as both one and three. (Yes, I’ve read discussions on the matter, and I understand what the discussions are saying, but that’s not quite the same thing as understanding the reality.)  Of the two, I think I an understand them more as One. They are all God. 
           Here Jesus is calling for His children to be one as the Trinity is one. The goal is for us all to function as a single body. For the sake of simplicity, let’s take this down to one group of Christians who choose to meet in a particular building at a particular time; in the vernacular, a church. The number involved doesn’t really matter. How does that number be one as the Trinity is One? 
            My first challenge here is the opposite of my challenge with the Godhead. I can’t get my mind around all those bodies, all those persons, being one entity. Unless a hive-mind, or the Borg are involved, physically separated entities with different life experiences just don’t function as one. In fact, that very hive-mindedness or Borg-assimilatedness terrifies me. I detest the idea of collectivism because it always ends up demanding that I check my brain at the door. It isn’t that I think my brain is more special or superior to anyone else’s, but it’s mine. I value it highly and I believe it has something to contribute. To tell me to make it sit down, shut up, and submit to the demands of the group-mind is to hate me. 
            I suspect that this sense of otherness is what led to the separation between God and man in the first place. Everything was so good. But God was better, oh, so much better. He knew more, could do more… how could it be wrong to want to be more like Him? And then someone offered us the chance. We would have been fools to pass it up, right? Except, to be more like Him, we had to separate from Him… just a little bit, just a little bite… and the oneness we had was gone. It wasn’t magic, it was just a natural consequence of stepping away thinking that we were stepping closer. 
            That separation also pushed us apart from one another. We could no longer look at alternatives and choose the best, because one of the option was now “mine” and to reject it was to reject me (Oh… do I hear an echo? Uh oh.) So now, instead of defending our ideas, we attack one another.
           You’re crazy
            You’re evil
           You shouldn’t be allowed to procreate or be near children
            YOU are so divisive! (Subtext: “Because you don’t agree with me!”)
            I don’t go to church because they don’t love one another the way they’re supposed to. They’re all a bunch of hypocrites!
            We need to have music that will draw in those who are outside of the church (subtext: “Because those already inside don’t matter as much because they’re already here, safe and sound.)
           We need to have music that meets the needs of the congregation that is already here, not music that is like the world. (Subtext: “Because the world doesn’t matter.”)
            What’s wrong with you? You don’t ________________! (Or You do ______________!)
           How can we be one without checking our brains at the door, without all having the exact same life experiences and perspectives on every single point. (Yikes! Boring!) 
            The answer is love, but it’s not a love that says, “You can do anything you want, anywhere you want, any time you want, with whomever you want as long as you don’t think anyone is getting hurt.” That’s one of the world’s sorts of love. We need a sort of love that can agree to disagree when it’s a matter of opinion, and that will focus on the point of disagreement (and not on the persons disagreeing) until there is an agreement first with God, and then with one another, when it’s a matter of principle. That doesn’t ask anyone to check their brains at the door. It asks them to bring their best brains to the table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo