Skip to main content

Strange Bedfellows


He also hired one hundred thousand mighty men of valor from Israel for one hundred talents of silver.
            But a man of God came to him, saying, “O king, do not let the army of Israel go with you, for the Lord is not with Israel – not with any of the children of Ephraim. But if you go, be gone! Be strong in battle! Even so, God shall make you fall before the enemy; for God has power to help and to overthrow.” (II Chronicles 25:6-8)

            Don’t let our fellow Israelites help us? Our brothers-in-arms? They’re our allies against Edom. After the split between Judah and Israel, at least at times, there seemed to be this notion that they were allies. Israel might have been doing evil, but it was Israel, they were fellow descendants from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and isn’t the enemy of my enemy my ally? 
            I see some of this same idea today. If Group A, C, F and L all happen to agree with us about some subject, shouldn’t we band together, act as allies? This is one of the supposed geniuses of the political Left, bringing together diverse groups in order to achieve a greater goal, thus unifying them in one vision that somehow includes all, or at least most. It seems to me to be the antithesis of the traditional marriage ceremony. Instead of “what God has joined, let no man put asunder,” it’s “What man hath joined let no God or man put asunder.” It seems to me to be the World that Jesus warned us against. The political Right does some of the same thing, but it doesn’t tend to be as successful. I’m grateful for that.
            Scripture teaches that we should not be “unequally yoked.” We should not ally ourselves quickly with anyone – especially if it is a matter of political expedience or convenience. I’m reminded of a conversation I had with a friend. We had both taken an interest in the idea of life coaching. He thought we should join forces. I told him, “no.” He is an agnostic/atheist. I’m a Christian. What good could he possibly say about my ideas to my clients? What good could I possibly say about his to his clients? We both see the other as fundamentally flawed, and yet we’re supporting each other’s practices? It’s one of those situations when I think someone needs to rub their eyes and look again, because what they thought they say made no sense. 
           This is the same warning I’ve read and heard many times from Christians who have observed the political arena. Christians should not ally themselves with politicians or political movements, and Christians should not look for a political solution to problems and issues in society. This is one of the ideas I’ve tried to get across to people, but I don’t think I’ve stated it well or clearly, and even if I did, I don’t think most of the people I’ve told have gotten it because it runs counter to everything we’ve been taught for decades. 
           Just because they say they are our friends, does not mean they truly are. If they do not act in accordance with the full teaching of Scripture, it is better to keep our distance. There may be some who will point fingers at me with regard to Mr. Trump. I haven't allied with him. I voted for him. Those aren't the same things. I don't believe that he has the solutions to our problems. I only agree with the notion of getting the government out of the way so that the problems can be addressed. Somehow, it seems to me that allying oneself with someone doesn't involve saying, "Go away."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo