Skip to main content

Work

 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, (Colossians 3:23)

            When you get to your job interview, it turns out that your employer is God. He doesn’t need to ask you those silly questions, because He already knows you. Feel free to speculate about what sort of work He might call you to do, but that’s not the focus here. What would He tell you the requirements and responsibilities of the job are? What would it mean for you to do the job with all your heart? What would it look for if you worked for the Lord?

            Often, we seem to think that we’re only “hired” by God if God gives us some major ministry. Pastors, priests, and prophets are hired by God. Christian entertainers, evangelists, and educators are hired by God. Store clerks, gardeners, cooks, parents, custodians… they are not hired by God. Today’s passage says that whatever your job, to do it as though God were the one who hired you, the one who evaluates your performance, and the one who signs your paycheck.

            We might think of this as meaning that we have to work very hard and be perfectly moral in our dealings. And those are part of what is meant, but let’s take the idea back to its most basic. When you work for someone, you are partnering with them. Your part of the partnership may be tiny, but the whole point of being hired is to be paid to help the employer accomplish whatever it is he’s trying to accomplish. So, today’s passage might be said to suggest that God is the third partner – no matter what the job.

            This also means that when we are struggling or unsure about some part of our job, we must seek our employer’s wisdom and God’s. And once the employer and/or God give that wisdom, we work within it. If we must differ with them, our position should clearly in the best interest of the employer and/or the glory of God. How would that change the way we work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.