Skip to main content

Near...

             “Am I only a God nearby,” declares the Lord, “and not a God far away?”

“Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them?” declares the Lord.

“Do not I fill heaven and earth?” declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 23:23-24)

 

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me,
    so far from my cries of anguish? My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
    by night, but I find no rest.
(Psalm 22:1-2)

 

 Where is God? I’m not asking where God was when something bad happened. I’m asking where God is now - in your life, in mine, in the lives of our leaders, etc. Where is God? I’m not asking for the good Sunday School answer, which is “God is everywhere. He’s omnipresent.”

In Scripture, there are two basic answers that God declares to be wrong. The first is that He’s not here. He doesn’t see what is happening. He doesn’t know what we’ve done (and we’re not going to tell Him!) The second is that “He’s not there.” He can’t do anything about those people over there. Today’s passage deals more with the latter. The Jews in Jeremiah’s day were enslaved to the north instead of in Egypt, and the Jews seemed to have believed that God could not, or would not, do anything about it. Perhaps they had succumbed to the popular belief that gods were basically local entities. Your god could help you within this geographic area, but there were other gods if you stepped over that line. Some were more powerful than others, but if your people were taken away to another land, it’s possible that the other god might prove more powerful than yours. Of course, they wouldn’t say that aloud.

We’re probably in the same boat. We know what we are supposed to say, but that’s not always the way we feel or what we really think. Even David asks God where He is in the psalm right before he sings of God as a shepherd who provides all that he needs. In the Sixteenth Century, St. John of the Cross wrote of “the dark night of the soul” in which God seems to be hiding.

I’m not facing a dark night, but at the same time, God doesn’t show up when, where, how, or why I want Him to. If He did, I would be His god. That means that God frequently feels far away. There are times when He feels near, when I hear His voice or discover a present.

I’m reminded of an old “Native American” story about boys being blindfolded and left in the forest overnight, sitting on a tree to prove their bravery and manhood. In the morning, they remove their blindfolds to discover that their father had been sitting with them all night, keeping them safe. I think sometimes, that’s how we are - blind and sitting in a forest, thinking we’re alone when we’re not.

At the same time, I think the question of God’s location is an important one to ask, especially if we use it as a way to explore our own thinking. Why do we think God is far away? What does that reason say about our thinking? Why do we think He’s near? What does that say about our thinking? Is this an area where we need to change? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.