Skip to main content

That's How Great...

             For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; (Psalm 103:1-13)

The universe is said to be roughly 46 billion lightyears in each direction around the earth. I’m sure someone will complain that such an idea is ludicrous, because the earth isn’t the center of the universe. And they’d be right. But for the purpose of this post, let’s just accept it as the illustration it is. The universe is - according to those who reject the Bible’s claims about its age - about 14 billion years old. That means that the light from the stars at the edge of the universe is only about 1/3 of the way from that edge to earth. Of course, since the universe is supposedly expanding, the light from where the stars were may have reached us, but the star is no longer where it was at the time the light left it.

Now, some will claim that the heavens begin where the universe leaves off. It’s outside of the universe. So if God’s love is as high as the heavens are above the earth, then the “bottom side” of his love is greater than 46 billion lightyears in any given direction. Its easy, when we start talking about these unfathomable sizes and distances to shift the focus just a little, and start thinking about God’s love being 46 billion lightyears away in any given direction. If that’s where heaven is that has to be where God’s love is, right?

To complicate (or simplify?) matters, Romans 8 tells us that nothing can separate us from God’s love. It’s not just more than 46 billion lightyears away, it’s also closer than the air we breathe. So, this passage isn’t about where God’s love is. It’s telling us the size. We could accurately say that God’s love is infinite but that’s just another unimaginable term. And we need get a grip on the reality that we can’t limit, control, or measure His love as well as the reality that He does love us and that it’s not a long-distance love.

Moving onto the distance God has compassionately separated us from our sins, we find a bigger problem. The half of the world west of the Prime Meridian (which runs through Britain) is considered The West, and the half east of it is The East. That should mean that the distance between East and West is really about so small as to be invisible. On one side of an imaginary line (having length but no width) is East and on the other is West.

One might claim that the distance between east and west is about 8,000 miles, or the diameter of the world, using the idea of the eastern most and western most points on a 2D map. We might say 12,000 miles if we travel across the globe and not through it. None of these is circumstantially accurate.

If you got into a jet and started flying west, no matter how many times you circled the globe, you could continue to fly west. If you turned around, the same would be true of east. Yes, you would fly over and possibly refuel in the same city many times, but never find the end of west or the end of east. If one could travel around the universe in a similar way, you would never find the west end or east end of the universe. But, the moment you turn around, you’re facing east and you can travel just as far east as you did west.

That’s how great. That’s how far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.