Skip to main content

Messiah Wars, Round One


                So the LORD God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this, “Cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life. And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.” (Genesis 3:14-15)

      There are people who point to certain mythological figures: Mithras, Dionysus (Bacchus), Attis, Osiris, Horus, Tammuz, Adonis, Persephone and Orpheus as parallels to Jesus based on these commonalities: 
*   death and resurrection around our Easter;
*   virgin birth around 25 December;
*   association with the seasons and the vegetation cycle (fertility gods);
*    called "son of God" and/or a god in human form, who performed miracles
*    ritual celebration of their death;
*    the offer of salvation to a small community of initiates.[1]  
       These similarities lead some to claim there is nothing unique about Jesus' claims. The first thing I notice is that nowhere in the list of contenders do I see it mentioned that any of these others were fulfillments of prophecy. Since I have been writing about prophecies and their fulfillment, I thought it might be interesting to look at some of the prophecies about the Messiah. Let's test their claim of similarity, starting with what I believe is the first messianic prophecy in Scripture, today's passage.
         The first thing of note is to whom this prophecy was given. When God's court convened because of Adam's sin, Adam, Eve and the serpent were all there, but it is to the serpent that God speaks the first prophecy about the Messiah. What God tells the devil is that 1) Eve's offspring (also translated seed) would crush the devil's head. 2) The best that the devil would do would be to bruise the Messiah's heel, and 3) Said offspring would be a singular: and he(or that) will crush your head and the term offspring or seed is singular. 
         While some may argue that offspring/seed can refer to a collection or group, the issue that cannot be argued away is that the Messiah had to be the offspring of a woman. Mithras was born of Anahita, a Hindu goddess. Dionysus (Bacchus) was said to be the son of Zeus and Semele, princess of Thebes.  Attis, was the son of either Cybelle or Nana, both of whom were goddesses. Osiris was supposedly born of Nut and Geb, both of whom were Egyptian gods. Horus was the son of Osiris and Isis, both of whom were Egyptian gods. Tammuz's mother was the goddess Duttur, was a personification of the ewe. Adonis' mother was Smyrna, daughter of Theias, king of Assyria. She tricked her father into impregnating her.  Persephone was the daughter of Zeus and the harvest goddess, Demeter. Orpheus' mother was either the muse, Calliope or the daughter of Pierus, son of Makednos.
      Given this first prophecy about the Messiah, that He would be a descendant of Eve, the only remaining contenders for Messiah from the list above are Jesus, Dionysus/Bacchus, Adonis and possibly Orpheus. Tomorrow, we'll continue the Messiah Wars.[2]





[1] http://www.is-there-a-god.info/belief/pagangods/


[2] Please note, I'm not in any actual doubt about the outcome of this series of battles, I am simply arguing the case using logic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t