Skip to main content

Our Responsibility


When I say to a wicked man, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself (Ezekiel 3:18-19) 

       A year ago as I was listening to the Bible in my car, I heard these verses. God says this to Ezekiel again in the next two verses, and twice again in chapter 33. We have a similar idea today. If an emergency responder sees an emergency and does not respond within the scope of their training, they are legally liable. This is one of the reasons I speak out about things that I believe are wrong. I'll grant I'm far from perfect about it, and I may not have the delicate hand people want me to have, but if I say nothing because I can't say it "right" then I abrogate my responsibility. Put another way, if I don't say something when something is wrong, I can't claim to care about that person. I'm not loving them.
           There are several things that need to be said here. Several years ago, a friend told me that someone she had never seen before had just come up to her and tried to witness to her in a very heavy-handed way. She was a Christian already. I don't recall what she said to him, but his response was along the lines of, "Well, I tried, that means your blood isn't on my hands, it's on your own," and he stormed off. There was no love or concern or compassion in what he did. He was simply crossing another person off his list - abrogating responsibility in a different way.
            In addition to using this warning as an invitation to hatefully rid oneself of responsibility, one can also use it as an invitation to anxiety and codependency. We can take the attitude that it is my responsibility to reach these people, and if they haven't responded "appropriately" then we've failed them and condemned them to eternal fire. "It's all my fault" we might say as we wring our hands. "I told them and they didn't listen. Their blood is on my hands." God doesn't hold us responsible for the decisions of others. 
          I won't claim that my style is the right approach either. I tend to be too blunt and too stubborn/patient. I've not good at the gentle, sweetness and light approach that some advocate. I don't throw people away if they don't do what I want, but I confront. I keep asking God to change that about me. But neither is "loving" on them in hopes that someday they'll miraculously recognize their error and change their ways. 
          "Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work." (Ephesians 415-16)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t