Skip to main content

Adjustments

           May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (I Thessalonians 5:23)

being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)

In Henry Blackabee’s Experiencing God he wrote about seven realities of experiencing God: (p 50)

1.      God is always at work around you.

2.      God always pursues a continuing love relationship with you that is real and personal.

3.      God invites you to become involved with Him in His work.

4.      God speaks by the Holy Spirit through the Bible, prayer, circumstances, and the church to reveal Himself, His purpose, and His ways.

5.      God’s invitation for you to work with him always leads you to a crisis of belief that requires faith and action.

6.      You must make major adjustments in your life to join God in what He is doing.

7.      You come to know God by experience as you obey Him and He accomplishes His work through you.

I would amend the first of the realities as “around and in you.” However, the focus of last night’s reading was the sixth reality.

Years ago, my back hurt so badly that to get out of bed in the morning, I had to pull myself onto my side and then push myself to a sitting position. One night, out of the blue, the question came to mind whether a chiropractor could help. I found one, and after several months of appointments, I found myself pain-free. Now and again, I’ve done something to my back, and he has helped by adjusting by spine and hips, putting them back in proper alignment.

To join God in what He is doing, we must make major adjustments, which are akin to the adjustments I had to make while my chiropractor was adjusting my spine and hips. I needed to build muscle strength to keep his work from going out of alignment again. The chiropractor initiated the work. I didn’t always cooperate. When I did, my whole life improved, but even though I wasn’t perfect in my cooperation, his adjustments were necessary before my adjustments could be much help. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...