Skip to main content

Vision

             Where there is no revelation, people cast off restraint; but blessed is the one who heeds wisdom’s instruction. (Proverbs 29:88 NIV)

 Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint, but blessed is he who keeps the law. (Proverbs 29:18 ESV) 

Quite a few of the translations of this verse use the word vision instead of revelation, and it’s not always specified that it’s a prophetic vision. I prefer the term vision but for the moment, let’s make the word prophetic wait in the wings. Back in 1776, about a third of the people in the American British colonies were in favor of the American Revolution. I don’t know what portion of the population advocated for the Civil War, but on both sides, there were clear visions of the future both if they won and if they lost. World War I was the war to end all wars, and World War II a great defense of freedom.

Think about the civil rights movement and Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. Or Kennedy’s goal to put a man on the moon. Think about the protests and riots of 2020. Think about high school pep rallies or the stuff leading up to the World Series, Wimbledon, or the Superbowl (forgive me if I missed your championship.) Or, consider what the Progressives of any philosophical ideology do so well. In every case, they paint (at least for the folks they’re trying to influence) a beautiful picture of a world that includes them. Often, they prey on those who are disgruntled or who feel marginalized (even if they aren’t.)

I won’t claim that the following characteristics of a vision that I found on the Internet are correct or comprehensive, but they provide food for thought:

                        A picture: a clear and vivid image of the desired future state.

                        A change: a contrast between the current situation and the vision, showing the need for

improvement or transformation.

                        Values: a set of principles or beliefs that guide the vision and the actions to achieve it.

                        A map: a plan or a strategy that outlines the steps and resources to reach the vision.

                        A challenge: a call to action that motivates and inspires people to pursue the vision.( The 5 Main Characteristics of a Vision | Melbado)

This is something that I think the groups listed above get, and the rest of us don’t. Politically, what is your vision of America? Can describe it using the five elements above? More importantly, what vision can you share about your faith with someone who isn’t of your faith? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.