Skip to main content

Of War


“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.  For I have come to turn
“‘a man against his father,
    a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—"
a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household. (Matthew 10:34-36)

          I finished reading Hearing God yesterday. Today, I pulled Waking the Dead by John Eldridge from the shelf. In a way, it begins with one of the same issues discussed in Hearing God. If God speaks to us, why is it we have such a hard time hearing Him or figuring out He’s the one speaking? Why is life so hard? Why does it “always” feel like we’re in a funhouse with its mirrors that distort? We’ve been saved, so why is it we so often feel lost? We’re like the disciples in the boat, in the storm, shoving at Jesus and asking, “Don’t You care that we’re going to drown?”
          Mr. Eldridge’s response is that we’re at war, and in this war, those closest to us are often the beloved enemies. They may even be Christian and still be our enemies. Consider Peter’s rebuke of Jesus. Consider Judas’ betrayal. 
          What would remembering that we’re in a war change about our perspective on life? Some of us might imitate Morpheus from Matrix, with his “come at me” gesture. Others might want to hide behind, or under, a rock. I’m closer to the latter. I just want life to be simple. I want to be invisible. I want to write books that matter without having to worry about money, or housekeeping, or errands, or estates. I long, it seems, for a cocoon. 
          And I know, I’ve lived a very blessed life. That’s probably part of the trouble. Other people are battle-hardened warriors. I don’t think I am, but the battle we fight isn’t like the battles fought in the Marvel Universe. It’s a battle of words, of ideas, and misdirection. 
          Several years ago, I listened to a talk about this kind of battle. During World War II, there was a Ghost Army whose job it was to distract the Germans by making it look like we had forces we didn’t. There were inflatable and wooden tanks and manikin soldiers. There were also people like the Tokyo Roses. The war in which we fight is a Gaslighting War, in which the enemy “seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting)
          This is why we need to be in the Word, and the Word in us, and why we need to pray that we might see clearly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...