Skip to main content

Being There

             Whatever you do in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. (Colossians 3:17)

Many years ago, they did an experiment involving workers functioning under differing levels of light. What they found instead is that people tend to work harder when they think they’re being observed, regardless of the reason for the observation. It’s called the Hawthorne Effect.

If we really believed that God really watches over us, I suspect we might work harder at being better people. And I suspect it’s not that we think He doesn’t watch over us. The problem is that we don’t think about God, period. We may claim to love God, but we get so wrapped up in what we’re doing that we just go from one thing to another, drifting with a godless current because we’re too focused, or too busy, or too lazy to realize that it’s godless.

In effect, we spend too much time as zombies, wandering through life in an unconscious but insatiable search for the consciousness we associate with brains. Putting aside the spiritual aspects for a moment, how much more could we get done if we focused on what we were doing instead of puttering? This is part of the reasoning behind my cleaning rooms in five-minute races. I may be able to focus on things for five minutes. It’s such a short time that I have to focus. I have to get the stuff done that bugs me most that day. If I give myself more than five minutes, I’ll debate about what to do, I’ll get distracted.

 How much of your day could you spend in prayer and praise if you could think to pray while you’re washing your hands, making meals, or doing other basically mindless chores. When I wake in the morning, I try to pray through the Lord’s Prayer. If the alarm hasn’t gone off, I might fall asleep again partway through. There are mornings that it seems to require that I pray through it, or parts of it, many times before I think I’ve actually prayed each part, and not just thought or said the words. I change it slightly, and the change is where I focus. Instead of “Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven,” I say “in me” or “in my life” I could say “in my world.” The point is that it brings the matter right here instead of out there somewhere.

Yesterday, I started building another good habit that combines self-care and prayer. The time that I spend washing my hands before handling food is a time to thank God for the food, for those who have grown it, processed it, shipped it, and sold it.

Since it’s the end of November, I’m thinking in terms of goals for 2022. Yes, already. I have been reading about thankfulness this past month. For December, I trying to decide whether to focus on creativity (which was one of my plans for this winter as a whole) or on consciousness – on being fully where I am and doing fully what I’m doing. I’ll probably let the library decide. Neither is a topic I expect to find much about. But they and gratitude are all interconnected. They all deal with the connection between the soul and God – so I think I’m going to declare war on the zombies in 2022. I want to be dead to the world, but alive to Christ…dead to sin, but alive to righteousness…dead to hatred, but alive to love…dead to death, but alive to the glory and grace of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t