Skip to main content

Exits

            Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin. (Romans 7:24-25) 

Then Samuel took a stone and placed it between Mizpah and Shen, and named it Ebenezer, saying, “So far the Lord has helped us.” (I Samuel 7:2) 

I’ve been talking about the easy paths that I tend to take. They look easy, probably because they look familiar. In Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis’ Uncle Screwtape warns his nephew about the dangers of seeking to influence his patient to greater sins. I found this in my own experience one day as I scooped a spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar. “What is more evil,” I thought, “a spoonful of peanut butter or murder?” Given the frequency that I am tempted to eat a spoonful of peanut butter, and the infrequency with which I am tempted to commit murder – and the lesser likelihood that I might attempt or accomplish the latter, peanut butter is the far greater danger and sin.

So often, the easy paths we take are the ones we’ve walked thousands of times. The slope isn’t steep and it’s not uphill. The hard work always comes later. One of the paths I take is “Victim Highway.” It has lots of other names: Poor Me, Woe-Is-Me, and It’s Not Fair. Some people even call it Loser’s Lane, Failure Road, or Humble Hill Highway. The truth is, it’s part of the Pride Freeway System. The only radio station that seems to play is “IAME” (It’s About ME.)

The thing we don’t tend to notice is the number of exits along the road. When we do notice them, the road looks treacherous and steep – either up or down. And they have names like Straight Street, Narrow Way, and (more often than those) Jesus Throughway. They lead to towns like Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control. There’s another exit of note, to a scenic overlook that lets you gaze at two magnificent mountains: Praise and Gratitude. The problem is that to get to the overlook, you have to climb a molehill that seems more like Mount Everest. It’s known as Mount Self.

The thing about the Jesus Throughway is that it’s a toll road. The toll has already been paid, but we have to be willing to ask for an “EZ Pass” in order to use it. That pass was paid for, of course, by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, who give us our salvation. That’s what today’s passages are about.

On the Victim Highway, we hear the first half of Paul’s words. “Wretched man that I am!” The problem is that we can’t stay on the Victim Highway and ride the Jesus Throughway. We have to stop listening to IAME and listen instead to JITW (Jesus is the Way) radio. We need to thank Him that He has brought us this far, even if “this far” isn’t where we think we should be.

I’ve written before that Jesus has always shown me where the next exit is. He’s kept His promise to guide me. Usually those exits have involved change, but the change has seemingly just happened. The thing I haven’t learned to realize is that Jesus is always the exit, and He’s available every day. I just need to take the next road that gets off Mount Self.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t