Skip to main content

In Everything?

             in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. (I Thessalonians 5:18)

Women received back their dead by resurrection; and others were tortured, not accepting their release, so that they might obtain a better resurrection; and others experienced mocking and flogging, and further, chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, in goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented (people of whom the world was not worthy), wandering in deserts, on mountains, and sheltering in caves and holes in the ground. (Hebrews 11:35-38)

In everything? Give thanks in everything? Deaths of loved ones? Lingering illnesses? Injustice? Mental illness? Persecution? Pandemics? Political upheavals?  Everything?

I’ve said many times that 2020 was one of the best years of my life. I published two novels. I expanded my gardens, learned to make jams, jellies, salves, sauces, and simples, and to hot-water bath can. I learned about plants in my neighborhood that could be used for food or personal care. I learned to remove the glaze from windows and reglaze them. I worked in a food pantry.  I can’t say that 2021 has been quite as good, mostly because I don’t think I learned as much, or that I did as much good for others. It wasn’t a bad year. I actually found a seasonal job I liked, but it’s not 2020.

That doesn’t mean either year was without struggle. I can’t say that the pandemic raged, but it simmered. I cracked a tooth and had to have it crowned. I got plant-based contact dermatitis (the doctor said it wasn’t poison ivy, but close enough.) I caught the Delta Variant (in spite of vaccination.) My books haven’t sold meaning that I’m successful as a writer (I have written books) but I’m a failure at marketing.

I’m re-reading my third Dallas Willard book this year, Renovation of the Heart. The focus of the professor’s books is spiritual formation, which means that it’s all about becoming the sort of person who does the things that a good person does. That seems to me to be the difference between 2020 and 2021. In 2020, I was determined to not let my circumstances control me but to use the pandemic as motivation to become more resourceful and competent. In 2021, it seems that I was more focused on having a better year than 2020. In other words, I’m more focused on the end than on the opportunities, and on the external results rather than on the internal results. As I look at those results and the fact that I see 2020 as a better year than 2021, I must conclude that the external results aren’t what make a year a good year. It’s the internal results that make a year good. And external difficulties can lead to good internal results. So, yes, in everything – even the bad things – give thanks because those things are the things that will lead you to become more and more one of the people of whom the world is not worthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t