Skip to main content

Thankful I Didn't

             I am thankful that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, (I Corinthians 1:14)

Does this passage strike you as odd? Paul was thankful that he hadn’t baptized people? Isn’t that the height of service and love to God and to fellow believers, to baptize them? There’s a specific reason that, in hindsight, Paul was right to be thankful he didn’t baptize them, but I suspect at the time that he chose not to baptize them, his reasons weren’t to prevent precisely what would have happened – the division among the people according to pastoral preferences.

But just the idea of being thankful that we didn’t do something that seems to be precisely what we should want to do most sounds strange and somehow unchristian. Certainly, other people must struggle with this, too. Some people are phenomenal evangelists, preachers, encouragers, carers, and givers. Ministries are set up that I know to be good ministries. How can I not exercise my gifts? How can I not be involved in each of them to the fullest extent?

I don’t need anyone to make me feel guilty. In fact, if someone tried, I’d probably feel less guilty as I defended myself. No, I generate enough guilt on my own. What sort of person am I that I don’t want – or need – to involve myself in any or all of these ministries that I know to be good? How can I be content to be so useless to the Kingdom?

Paul’s being thankful that he didn’t perform the small but significant service for the Corinthians is a breath of fresh air. We can thank God that we didn’t do some good thing. We can also be thankful that we did do some good things. And the keys to which way we should be thankful involve love of God (obedience,) love of the other (doing what’s actually best for them), and wisdom. It shouldn’t have mattered who baptized the Corinthians. Baptism is between God and the one being baptized. The one doing the baptizing is just a tool. Paul was sent to evangelize and teach. Like the leaders at the church in Jerusalem who designated deacons to serve the people, Paul seems to have designated others to baptize.

The story of Peter on the roof refusing to eat unclean food and of Jonah trying to run away from God’s command show us that God does correct us when our not wanting to do something (or our not doing it) is wrong. There’s no hint that God told Paul to baptize. While Paul had good reason when he wrote to the Corinthians to be thankful that he hadn’t baptized many people in Corinth, I suspect he may have had good reason to be thankful that others did that while he was there. Paul could have easily ended up like Moses, doing everything, if he hadn’t delegated.

We need to be careful about being thankful to have escaped doing something. At the very least, we should make sure that our decision is not an act of disobedience. We should also make sure that our choice is made from a good attitude, and not from laziness, disobedience, or hatred.

But I return to the strangeness of the statement. We can be thankful for not doing something, even if that something isn’t evil. How freeing it is to think that we don’t have to go through life with regret that we didn’t do everything! And perhaps that’s one of the questions we need to ask ourselves as we consider what to do. Will I thank God that I didn’t do it, or will I regret that I didn’t do it? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t