Skip to main content

Thanking God for the Monsters

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, (Philippians 1:3)

It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you can talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long, we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealing with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations—these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit—immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. This does not mean that we are to perpetually solemn. We must play. But our merriment must be of that kind (and it is, in fact, the merriest kind) which exists between people who have, from the outset, taken each other seriously—no flippancy, no superiority, no presumption.  (C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory) 

We’re just past the Halloween season, when “ghosties, and ghoulies, and long-legged beasties”[1] caper, creep, and crawl in our imaginations. Sometimes, I think we should celebrate monsters more often, because we live among so many. Like Dr. Jeckyl or any of a number of victims, those who look at us in the mirror, eat breakfast with us, and pass us on the streets can reveal their ghoulish or brutish selves within an instant. They tear us to shreds and in the next moment, are their own beloved selves once again and asking why we are on the floor writhing in pain. Until the next time. C. S. Lewis’s description (above) of the people we encounter is magnificent, but we must remember that there is within us a monster that is every bit as fiendish as those that rend us.

When might we catch sight of these monsters, in the mirror or on the street? There are some songs they are apt to sing, like birds. Each has a wide range of variations. Here are a few of the most oft sung:

I was just joking.

Did you hear …?

I’m not saying anything against anyone, but…

…I’m a good person…

Everyone deserves to relax/have fun once in a while…

We’ve all been these monsters, and the victims of ourselves and other monsters like us. Some delight in declaring our monstrosity and imagine themselves to be VanHelsing or Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. (That was all much too much fun.)

So, with so many monsters around and within us, why should we thank God for others in our remembrance of them? How can we possibly thank God for the miniature Hitlers, Stalins, McVeys, Vicks, Dahmers, and jet-flying terrorists in our lives? Or for the zombies, vampires, werewolves, and ghosts who populate our homes, schools, grocery stores and churches? And do we imagine that somehow, the people to whom Paul wrote in Philippi were somehow perfect saints? It seems to me that Paul wrote to the Corinthian church about their belief in their superiority to him, and he noted that he wasn’t a perfect saint, so how much less are we?

The first reason we need to thank God for them is because God put them in our path for purposes – not just one purpose. He did it for His glory, for our growth, and for their growth, and for the benefit of others. There are probably reasons that fit into subsets of those four reasons, but no matter how negative and harmful they are (or wish to be) they are meant as a blessing to us, and we to them, and both of us to everyone else. The blessing might be a hard one, but what they mean for evil, God works for good.



[1] With thanks to Alfred Noyes who included the phrase as part of a “Quaint Old Litany” in the preface to The Magic Casement: An Anthology of Fairy Poetry. Edited, with an introduction, by Alfred Noyes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo