Skip to main content

When In Rome


Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. One person's faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.  (Romans 14:1-4)

         Disputable matters…gray areas…some people seem to think that everything is a disputable matter and that there is nothing either black or white. Back in Paul’s days, celebrations often involved sacrificing to some deity (including God,) after which the people feasted on what had been sacrificed. Some people thought that doing this meant they were worshipping evil gods. There’s an interesting parallel today. Some people believe that supplying cakes, flowers, photographs, or venues for a celebration of the “marriage” of two homosexuals is wrong because it expresses approval of something Scripture clearly states is sinful. Some people don’t see things this way.
          I am of the former group, but when I was selling jewelry, I sold wedding bands to homosexuals. They were not buying rings that I had designed or made. They were not buying rings from me. They were buying them from the store for whom I worked. What’s more, anyone can buy a stock wedding band without having any intention of getting married. One of my customers bought them regularly. Had they asked me to design special rings for their ceremony that they could then say, “I got this at the Keil Jewelry Emporium,” it would be a different matter.
          As in the days of imperial Rome, when those who refused to sacrifice to the Roman gods could face execution or used for bait in a colosseum, those who refuse to do what they consider participation in homosexual celebrations are subject to attack, and slandered in society. But it is not that sort of attack that Paul discusses in today’s passage. His issue is with the Christian who says “no” and the Christian who says “Yes,” or “why not?” and how they treat one another.
          Here is where I’m going to get into trouble because to some, my argument for my side is too hard. It’s not “Here’s how I feel.” It’s closer to “Here’s what I think, here’s why I think it, and here’s why I think it’s right. Now prove me wrong.” I don’t take “feelings” as sufficient reason to change what I believe. I admit, I get zealous. But, you’ll notice that Paul never says that we are to give in and give the other perspective their way. He only says that we’re not to hold those who have the other perspective in contempt.
          What you decide with regard to this, or other disputable or “gray” areas, is between you and God until or unless you decide to make it my business by raising the subject with me. At that point, I have a right to express my beliefs – strongly if I so choose. If I bring the subject up, you have every right to not respond or to respond as you see fit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t