Skip to main content

God Is Love 12


“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. (Luke 18:19)

“The goodness of God means that God is the final standard of good, and that all that God is and does is worthy of approval.” (Wayne Grudem, Systematic Theology, p. 197)

          Oh boy, get out the boxing gloves, there’s going to be blood drawn over this one. God, good? That’s been a joke since the days of Adam and Eve. How could a good God let bad things happen to good people, to innocent people? Fortunately, that rather big question is not the topic of the day. Instead, we are considering the question of whether love is good. 
        Some folks would say, that yes, love is good – no hesitation, and then they would use that argument to claim that because love is good, therefore everything that they call love is good. Let us begin, then, with the reminder that love is a burning, unending passion for what is in the best interest of the beloved. Hannah Hurnard expands on this idea in her story, Mountains of Spices. Love is both wonderful and terrible, she says. What makes it terrible is both what the lover will endure for the sake of the beloved’s best interest, and what the lover will require that the beloved endure for the same.
      It is easy to twist love into something that is almost love, but different: lust, infatuation, need, and possession, to name a few. It is also easy to twist the wonderfulness, or the terribleness of love into something that is neither wonderful, or terrible, but twisted, wrong, or sick. It’s easy because we are not good. We are fallen, and it is natural for us to drag everything else down with us to make ourselves feel better. It’s also natural for us to equate “terrible” with bad or evil. 
         But it is the terribleness of love that we deeply admire. It is the terribleness of love that brings the little old man to the nursing home every day to spend time brushing the hair of his beloved wife, who no longer recognizes him. It is the terribleness of love that sends a fire fighter into a burning building to rescue a paraplegic…a child…a household pet. It is the terribleness of love that allows a child to go to school, or to college. It is the terribleness of love that causes a soldier to leave his home and go to war. It is the terribleness of love that causes a parent whose child has committed a crime to testify against that child so that he is convicted, and then goes to visit that child regularly in prison.  It is the terribleness of love that causes a person to forgive the concentration camp guard, the rapist, the murderer, and the one who has hurt us in some other way. And it is the terribleness of love that often produces the deepest capacity to love in the beloved. 
         Yes, I contend that love is good, it is the final standard of goodness, and is worthy of approval, but that those things that pretend to be love, and that our society approves as love, are neither love, nor a standard of goodness, nor worthy of approval… no matter what the world says. After all, the world hates God and rejects Him. It is only natural that the world would hate love, reject love, and offer up tempting substitutes to any and all. And love, in return, will let the beloved choose those things in hope that they will discover their falseness and turn toward what is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t