Skip to main content

Love One Another

This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous. Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him. (I John 3:11-15)  


          There is a letter to the editor in the Erie paper this morning about how religion doesn’t have to be divisive.  We can all get along as long as we see all religions as just being different flavors of religion. “Flavor” – my word, not his, but I heard “Imagine” playing in the background as I read the editorial. My kool aid doesn’t taste the same as yours, but it’s all just kool aid. Not surprisingly, I disagree with the editorial. I’m still undecided whether or not I’ll respond there. 
         There is a sense in which all religions are different flavors of the same thing. All religions, and all philosophies, address essential questions about the nature of the universe and its god (including the lack thereof,) and how humans should relate to it and to each other. That is, at its most basic, what a religion is. The problem is that those things are at the core of what it means to be human, so the answers are not merely insignificant things that can and should be overlooked by everyone else. The answers are claims about what is true and what is not true – and when those answers are not the same, there is a division made - a real division and not just a minor personal preference.
          The universe came to be because of the act of one god, or ten, or two hundred million, or none. Does it make a difference? Yes. Who set the rules by which the universe operates? What are the consequences of disobeying those rules? In some religions, there are real consequences – it matters. In other religions, it doesn’t really matter. You might not get to heaven, but you’re recycled and given another chance. Which is true? Does it matter? Yes. If the real consequences truth claims are true, it matters a lot. 
          My point is that, contrary to what the editorial writer said, religion is divisive, and that’s a good thing when you’re dealing with truth claims because all truth-claims cannot be true at the same time, in the same way. I’m not saying we should be unkind to those who don’t believe as we do, but the reality is that they are not all the same.
          This is why Jesus and John both tell us that we should not be surprised when the world hates us. We should be surprised if it doesn’t. The claims of Christianity are unique. There are other religions that show some similarities, but they miss the key point – and more often than not, the key point has to do with laws. If the Roman religion was correct, it didn’t matter which god you served, as long as you paid lip-service to the Roman emperor as a god, and this is basically what the writer is calling us to do: to claim it doesn’t matter and then to pay lip-service to whatever god happens to be worshipped locally. Christianity rejected the idea that it doesn’t matter, and it rejected the idea that the emperor was a god. It rejected the practices of the Romans. It rejected the practices of the Barbarians. It now rejects the new Roman practice that all religions are the same and therefore must be hated by the new Rome. 
         Jesus and the men who wrote the New Testament agree – we are to love our brothers. That mean that former Roman and former Jew, former enemies, must lay aside their enmity. That didn’t mean laying aside their truth claims. It meant both of them laying aside their old divisions, united by their new truth claim.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t