Skip to main content

Our Struggle


For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. (Ephesian 6:12-13)
          I once read that if someone broke into your house while you were sleeping, put a gun to your head and demanded to know your mission in life, you should be able to express it in under thirty seconds. I don’t know that I could do that. It’s not that my mission is difficult to remember, it’s just that I tend to freeze under pressure. Today’s passage is another of those I think we should be able to repeat under pressure. In fact, being under pressure is the reason we should repeat it. 
          Our struggle. Make no mistake, we are at war. In fact, the past twenty years have been a great illustration of the type of war we’re in. We are at war with terrorists. 
         Is not against flesh and blood… The war we’re in isn’t battles with cannons, guns, and knives. It’s not a war against bodies, but against unhealthy principles, toxic powers, faulty logic, and insidious ideas. Therefore, ad hominems (attacking the person who disagrees with you or attacking the idea because of the person.) 
        Against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers…. I suppose some people read this and think, “Yes, _______ of the world unite against the powers that are! Let’s bring down the government and put a system in place that will do what the current government does not.” The problem is that the new system will become the ruler, the authority, and the power against whom we are to stand precisely because the system is the problem. Any system of rule with a human at its head (or even worse, multiple humans) is corrupt, period. Replacing government one with government two just changes the nature of the corruption, not the fact of it. 
          Therefore put on the full armor of God. You are to don it. I am, too. No elected official is meant to be our champion and do our fighting for us. This is was of terrorism. The attacks are against civilians who want nothing more than to go about their daily lives. 
          So that when the day of evil comes… Some folks want to think that the day of evil is in the future. I think it’s in the past, the present, and the future. Here’s the key. If you don’t learn to use the armor now, when the day of evil comes you won’t have time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t