Skip to main content

Anxiety


                When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. (Psalm 56:3)
                        “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?  So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:25-34)
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.  Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (I Peter 5:6-8)
                These verses are from a Bible study I joined yesterday. We’re going through a series of lessons by Max Lucado called, Be Anxious For Nothing. I suspect there are some people who aren’t anxious types, but they’re few and far between. I tend toward anxiety. I’ve shared before that I can worry about nothing – literally, Nothing! I can recognize that I am going through the motions of worrying without having any content to that worry, and not be able to stop worrying. In fact, it could be said that I joined the study on worrying because as I go through this transition in my life, I’m worried that I’ll worry, so I’m trying to be proactive, to prepare to face anxiety when it rears its ugly head. Can I get an “Oh brother!”?
          Let me share a few tidbits from yesterday. Mr. Lucado did a good job with definitions.
          Anxiety is not so much the onslaught of a storm as the continual threat that one is coming. It’s a big heap of “what ifs.”
         The word anxiety actually comes from a Latin root that means “to choke” or “to squeeze.” 
         Fear screams “get out!” It’s about fight or flight (and I would add, “or freeze”) Anxiety asks “What if.” It’s about doom and gloom
                Then one of my friends pointed out something about what if?s.  They make us feel smart, important, and responsible.  I would add superior and delusional because we think we’re at least trying to exercise control. “See? I’m not one of those Pollyanna sorts who goes about with my head in the clouds. I’m getting ready to take the bull by the horns and give it a cage-match style body slam. Or, at least, I will if I rehearse it for long enough in my head and get the details all figured out in case the bull shows up.”
            There’s a difference between being anxious and considering possibilities. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saving for a rainy day or being prepared for emergencies. The danger is that we will give the rainy day and the emergency authority in our lives. Perhaps the one thing worse than giving the rainy day and the emergency authority in our lives is giving anxiety or worry authority in our lives. I think that’s the real struggle for me. One of my goals is to learn to recognize anxiety when it’s sneaking up on me and to recognize it for what it is, rather than to writhe for a week in the clutches of what might be before I realize that the cell door is open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t