Skip to main content

Clearly Seen


For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)

21% oxygen level on Earth is perfect for life
Gravitational force is perfect for life 
Distance from the sun is perfect for life (Goldilocks zone)
The expansion rate of the universe is perfect for life
The thickness of the Earth’s crust is just right for life
The axial tilt of the Earth offers the best conditions for life
The Speed of light is proper for life
Strong nuclear force holds atoms together 
The distance between the stars allows for life to exist
The cosmological constant is minutely right for matter to exist
Earth has the right amount of seismic activity to allow life to exist
Position of Jupiter protects life on Earth
The balance of strong and weak nuclear forces allows life in only a very narrow range, and the balance in our universe is exactly right.
The Earth is in just the right place in the galaxy not only to allow life, but to allow that life a fairly unobstructed view of not only the Milky Way but other galaxies as well.
And we have that unobstructed view because our atmosphere is basically transparent.
The Moon is at just the right size, and just the right distance from the earth, and the earth is at just the right distance from the sun, that a lunar eclipse allowed scientists to test Einstein’s theory of Relativity in 1919
         If you want to know more, here’s a website that expands on these: http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html. There are more than a hundred of these Goldilocks fine-tunings,  and a number of books on the subject that I’d love to buy…. 
                There are those, of course, who proclaim that there have been and are countless other universes in which every possible combination of these factors has probably been attempted. Some have worked, some have not. Some have life forms that we might not comprehend as being alive. We can’t prove all those universes exist (or have attempted to exist, or will attempt to exist) through any direct means, but that fact that they may is considered sufficient for some scientists to proclaim that our universe just happens to be the one in the countless number of universes that just happens to have hit on the more than a hundred different factors that had to be just right in order not only for life, but for intelligent life to be able to scientifically appreciate. 
                Scientists like Hawking and Dawkins admit that when you look at the universe, it seems to have been designed, but they conclude that appearance are deceiving. When asked what the chances that even half of these more than a hundred might just happen, they insist that it’s one hundred percent, because it did happen, here, and we are the result. That is an unscientific statement.
                Back in the 70s, Dr. Robert Jastrow, NASA engineer described the situation well: 
“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”  Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t