Skip to main content

Be Like-Minded

             Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. (Philippians 2:1-2)

Where do you fit in this verse? Do you have any encouragement from being united with Christ? Do you get any comfort from his love? Do you have any common sharing in the Spirit? Have you received any tenderness and any compassion? Ever?

For most of us, the answer is “Yes,” and that moves us to the next part of the verse, the “then make my joy complete by…” part. What would make Paul’s joy complete? Our being like-minded, having the same love, and being one in spirit and of one mind. But being all those things with whom? For some reason, as I’ve considered this passage in the past, I’ve thought that it was about being all those things in my relationship with other people.

There’s a good reason for this. A few verses later, Paul wrote about our relationship with other people. But at least for a moment, I’d like us to consider that we’re not being called to pattern ourselves after other people, to be like-minded with them. Our example is Christ. And the obvious answer to this is, “Well, duh,” but for some reason, today, that’s the key.

If we have any of the first things listed, then we are to be like-minded with Christ, have the same love as Christ, being one in spirit with Christ, and of one mind with Christ as we relate to others. It’s not about getting along with others, and it is most certainly not a standard that others have a right to use against us, saying, “You may not disagree with the Church. Whatever we believe, you must believe. Whatever we consider important, you must consider important.” Nor is it a standard we can use against them.

This isn’t antinomianism. I’m not suggesting that there are no standards to which we, they, or the Church cannot hold others (or us) accountable. There are plenty of things mentioned specifically in Scripture that are standards for us. But our standard isn’t “them.” It’s Christ.

And as we and they, or the whole Church, become like-minded with Christ, we will inevitably become like-minded with those who are also becoming like-minded with Christ, etc. We will begin to living out the giving of encouragement, comfort, love, etc. because we will reflect what we have received instead of acting like a black hole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.