Skip to main content

God's Love

             But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever. (Psalm 52:8)

Why is it that when things are going well that we find it easier to doubt? Why are we so silly? It was a busy morning. I peeled and sliced potatoes someone gave me, then peeled and quartered about 1/3 of the apples someone else had given me. And amid this flourishing, I got anxious and whined at God about how His love doesn’t fit the description I want it to. At least I was recognizing that my description isn’t a good one. It was a “Your daughter…” discussion.

But think about it. Adam and Eve sinned in a perfect environment. The Israelites were brought out of Egypt and across the Red Sea with miracle after miracle. Joshua and the Israelites neglected to check with God about battle plans for Ai after Jericho. Saul was chosen as king by God and screwed it up. David was chosen as king by God and screwed it up. Solomon was chosen as king by God and screwed it up. Elijah took on 400 prophets of Baal, won, ran miles ahead of Ahab’s chariots, then slunk off to whine at God about his life. You could probably come up with other examples.

I don’t know why we do this. It might be a spiritual attack. It might be “just” a bad habit. It might be part of human nature, or perhaps part of the human nature for one kind of person. As I thought about my unreasonableness, one of the possibilities was that I want to be in control of God’s love for me. I want Him to be – as it were – the victim of love. I want to dictate how that love is expressed.

And how do I want it to be expressed? How do you want it to be expressed to you? Go ahead – be silly about this while you’re being honest. The things that come to mind are that He would give me power that I would likely abuse. He would solve all my problems. He would defeat all my enemies and make me look good in the process. He would give me everything I asked for. Yeah. Feel free to add more. They’re all lies that we tell ourselves.

Here’s one that I think may cut to the heart of the matter for me: boredom. When I’m working on something, I don’t tend to think about God loving or not loving me.  In fact, chances are that I don’t think about Gd because I’m focused on the thing, whether it’s a task, a blessing, or a crisis. I’ve told people that it takes me about ten seconds to get bored. Then I’m like the little robot in Short Circuit. I need input. I need stimulation. I need entertainment. I need reassurance. My inner spoiled little brat leaps onto the stage.

If we recognize this, we can address it – even if that involves going to God and tattling on ourselves. “God,  You  would not believe what Your daughter is doing this time!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.