Skip to main content

Therefore Go...

             Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20)

“Ah! The call to evangelism! Let’s get out there and save the world! We must spread the Good News so that all are saved!” I attend a church in which this is a big focus- and I’m thankful for that because it should be a big focus. It just doesn’t seem to be my primary focus, especially as it has tended to be presented.

For a long time, the idea seemed to be that we must send missionaries overseas – and we (not just my church or denomination- but Christians) did a pretty good job at it. But at some point, I asked why we weren’t doing more on college campuses, where foreign students come to learn. We could reach their lands through them at a much lower cost. But, no, we had to send missionaries overseas. Now churches in other countries are sending missionaries to the United States. And, fortunately, my church now has a vibrant English as a Second Language class/club. We’re starting to look at the world as it comes to where we are.

And when “we” do evangelism in the US, for a long time (and it’s still happening)  the big thing was leaving a tract somewhere in hopes that someone will read it and pray for salvation. Often, neither the name of a church nor of a person was included in the space provided. Connecting with these people didn’t matter. Their praying for salvation was the item of sole importance. And if we moved beyond that, it was to push the government to push or help people for us.

When asked about discipling and teaching, there’s less interest, unless we’re talking about kids and young adults. The discipleship of new people at church tends to involve an eight week study of the “basics,” followed by “pick a Sunday School class (if there is one for adults) or Bible study group.” The neat thing about the church I attend when I first started to attend is that they ran an Institute for Christian Life Training on Wednesday nights. Sadly, it disappeared. They do have intermittent membership classes and spiritual gift classes, but they’re not ongoing weekly things. Still, there are some attempts.

Over the past decade or more, the fad has been to be seeker friendly. Music as entertainment, coffee-house atmospheres instead of lecture halls for services, etc. When people who have been attending (and financing) the church complained about music that was too loud, or the focus changing from the congregation worshiping to the worship team entertaining, we were told that we need to be a place outsiders will feel comfortable in. “Established” members need to get with the picture.

And I’ll admit, I recognize that part of the answer is that I should be discipling younger women - but that’s where I begin my sorry story of not having anything to teach them. I’m as bad as everyone else. I don’t even have the excuse of “family.” But the point is that Jesus didn’t say, “Therefore go and make converts of all nations.”  He said, “Therefore go and make disciples… baptizing them … and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”

I think we have a lot to learn about obeying this commission, and we should probably look at it with fresh eyes, because there are ways to accomplish some of this that wasn’t available before, and opportunities exist now that did not back when the world was not as it is now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.