Skip to main content

Called So That You....

          Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. (I Peter 3:8-9)

Let’s pretend that you answered the door yesterday and found officials from some lottery. They told you that you had just won 8.28 trillion tax-free dollars.[1] They handed you the check, you deposited it, and the bank has verified that the check is good. It’s yours. I’m not going to ask you what you would do with it. Instead, I will ask what it would do with/to you. Perhaps an even better question is what you want it to do with/to you.

Would it matter more, or less, when someone disagreed with you or called you something offensive? Perhaps an even better question is what you would want it to do you? Perhaps it would be even clearer if your neighbor won it instead of you. How long would it be before you thought, “He has all the money in the world, and he gets upset over that? Really?”

Even if the money were held for six months before we could actually spend any of it, wouldn’t it – shouldn’t it change our perspective about the world? I’ll grant that some would be crushed by the money. They would turn into Gollum, always going on about their precious and prickling about everything. But how many would want to turn into such a being?  Instead, the person who is “wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice” (with thanks to Samuel Johnson or Edwin Moore for the phrase) is expected to not be bothered by petty things. Even if they are upset about something they should be upset about, we’re likely to think that with all that money, they could do something about the situation beyond whining and complaining.

And in today’s passage, we read (again) that we were called so we may inherit a blessing. That blessing is God Himself. In other words, we’ve not been given all the money in the world. We’ve been given something that makes all the money in the world look like less than a quark. As fallen human beings, we’re likely to be upset by attacks made by others, but I think we need to keep asking ourselves, “Is the attack true?” and “Given my inheritance, is that attack really worth getting upset over?” If the answer to either is “Yes,” then we might need to consider what to do, but otherwise, perhaps we should remind ourselves that “It’s really not that big a deal.”

 



[1] One estimate online of the value of all the money in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.