Skip to main content

Grace

             May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. (II Corinthians 13:14)

What is my/your life supposed to look like? That was the question as I walked this morning. I am absolutely sure that mine doesn’t look like it’s supposed to, but I’m also sure that what I tend to want it to look like probably isn’t what it’s supposed to look like, too. I saw that the verse above was the Biblegateway.com verse of the day, and I was going to look for a different verse, but the question on my walk changed that. And the verse’s answers, while obvious, aren’t easy.

Our lives are supposed to be filled with grace. Dallas Willard said that mature Christians burn grace like a jumbo jet taking off. I’d say maybe like a rocket. But, what does a life of grace look like? Having returned to wanting to put grace on the table to examine, I went to the kitchen and got to work on the second of three bags of apples.

Apples. I use the term in a technically correct, but rather loose way. They came from an apple tree in a neighbor’s yard. He invited me to pick them. They looked horrific. Many of them were small, mangled, and covered with ugly, blotchy skin. Peeling them didn’t help – there were bruises, black cavities, and what looked like worm damage. These aren’t the sort of apples I would buy, but all I paid was the ten minutes it took to pick them. Some went into the trash whole because I couldn’t figure out how to peel them. Others got quartered and tossed because they looked so bad. But some had a little fruit I could salvage. Others had quite a lot of salvageable fruit. When I was done, I had enough to make a batch of applesauce.

As I peeled, my thoughts shifted to videos of painters. Some of them paint a heart or some phrase on the canvas, then obliterate that image as they prepare their canvas.[1] I’ve watched them use paint to sketch out parts of a face, then watched as those lines disappear. They have used browns, blues, reds, and colors that do not belong in human skin to depict the skin. Sometimes, they draw the eye or nose in then eradicate it and paint another. The thing that they don’t do (on camera at least) is to burn the canvas because they did something wrong and that ruined it.

This isn’t the picture of grace, but I think it is a picture of grace. Rather than declare everything worthless because it somehow fails to measure up, what can be kept and used is. Granted, there are apples I threw away as useless, and eventually, a painter may throw away a canvas, but the better the cook or painter, the more ability he/she will have to find and use what can be used, and the more wisdom in judging them. Things may not be used in the way we expect or want, but that God can and does use anything about us is a picture of grace, made possible through the actions of Jesus Christ.



[1] Forgive me if I use the wrong terms, painting is not an area of my expertise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pure...

            The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (I Timothy 1:5)   I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16) I’m probably cheating - or mishandling the Bible, but earlier I was thinking about love being pure and purifying. And hatred being pure and purifying. And anger…joy…patience… fear… jealousy… courage…lust… and other strongly felt feelings, attitudes, and beliefs. Today’s verse brings purity and love together, so it’s the verse of the day, but it’s not really the focus. That means my motive for sharing it with you probably isn’t pure. As you read through my list, you   probably thought, “Yeah” about some, and “What’s she on?” about others. But consider how much hatred, anger, fear, jealousy, and lust can crowd out everything else. This is like

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Not Sharing

            Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure . (I Timothy 5:22) Today’s is a hard one. The part about not being hasty in the laying on of hands isn’t so much the problem unless your love language is Touch. We aren’t pastors. We don’t tend to be involved in commissioning anyone. What we don’t tend to think of when we hear “laying on of hands” is that it involves relationship and approval. Our sending them away as our representatives may not seem real to us, but just think about what being seen with the wrong folks can do to a reputation. I’ve heard that Billy Graham would not be in a room alone with a woman. Others follow the same policy, or at least make sure the door is open so that anyone who wants to can see that nothing’s going on. But the hard part is not sharing in the sins of others. What does it mean? It’s comparatively easy to say that being pure means not having sex with someone who is not our spouse.