Skip to main content

Empathy...

 “‘Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly. (Leviticus 19:15)

Appeal to Pity: an illogical pattern of reasoning that tries to influence other people through an emotional plea. 

Gas Light: manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.

Privilege: a right or immunity granted as a peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor

          Last night, and not for the first time, I saw a meme that said, basically, “Don’t talk to me about facts. Listen to me, hug me, and pity me. The facts don’t count. The facts don’t matter. I matter.” Since that sounds narcissistic, the claim is made in a plural sense. All people of a group of your choice gather together to proclaim, “We matter.”

          We’ve heard it before. “______ raped me!” It doesn’t matter whether or not there is proof, we are to believe the victim and destroy the man’s reputation and ruin his life because the victim said so.

            “________ refused to make a cake” or take the pictures, or whatever. There are hundreds of others who could perform that service, but that doesn’t matter. All that matters is that this specific person displeased someone, and so this person’s life and business must be destroyed.

          “I’m not comfortable with my body. I’m not what I appear to be, I’m a _____.” We are expected to move heaven and earth to change that person to meet their claims because what he/she claims is more true than what we see.

          Curiously, claims of victimization are only permitted in certain directions. We have been told that only White people can be racist. By the logic used for that, anyone may claim victimhood, and the person or persons accused have no recourse. No evidence must be presented, the victim must be believed, period. And if you aren’t in the group granted the right of victimhood, you cannot be a victim, no matter how badly you’ve been treated.

          Several years ago, I voiced my concerns about the outcome of a legal battle. I was told in no uncertain terms that the outcome I predicted would never happen. “ ‘Bad, bad,’ said the buyer…” but when the legal battle was over, what I said would happen did, and the person basically just smiled and boasted.

          It hasn’t happened recently, but there’s another meme that cycles through. In one way or another, it says that if you aren’t suffering at or beyond a specific level, you should just shut up because your suffering does not meet the minimum standards to apply for pity. The pity Nazi stands behind the counter and says, “No pity for you!”

          We’re told that privilege is when certain groups of people are – for example – not convicted of a crime they committed (a fact) because their family has the money to hire a lawyer who can get them off. Privilege is, in other words, when something other than facts take precedence over the facts. And the same people tell us that the facts don’t count – until they are accused. And, despite the assurances of some, privilege is evil.

          Scripture teaches us to show pity to those who are truly in need, but it also teaches us not to give preference, not to attribute privilege to either the rich or the poor. We are to judge justly, according to the facts. This doesn’t mean that we don’t show empathy, but that we don’t let our feelings of pity to chuck our brains and all the facts in the garbage. It doesn’t mean we grant privilege to any group or allow them to dictate what we feel or what we think. The victim doesn’t get to dictate reality to the rest of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t