Skip to main content

Trust

           Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. (Isaiah 46:4)

           You know how you can be going along, doing your thing without a care in the world, and you read, see, or hear something that sends you into a tailspin? Over the past few weeks, I’ve added to my gardening space for next year. I’ve added quite a bit, and I’ve had a few twinges of “What am I doing? Do I realize how much work I’m giving myself? How am I going to keep up with all these 10, 15, or 30 years from now? I should be cutting back, reducing to the absolute minimum, moving into a place that has staff to take care of things for me.”

          And then I come across this verse, to which my response isn’t “What a wonderful God!” but even more of the thoughts from the previous paragraph. I need to cut back, retract from life and the world, simply down to needing, wanting, doing nothing. A conversation with someone this morning is an example. I met another Shiba owner, and she talked about not being able to ever get another kind of dog because Shibas are just perfect. I understand her feeling, but I told her that in ten years or so, when Grace leaves me, I may not be able to handle a 20 lb. dog. I might have to scale back to a Yorkie, or a Pom, or some tiny thing or – and I dread it – not have any dog. Another dread, that I will become my father – that I will collapse in on myself, whether because of dementia or despair.

          In Romans, Paul wrote about not knowing sin until the Law was given. Today’s verse is like that. The moment I read it, instead of rejoicing, I grow anxious. Instead of trusting God, I find myself fearing the journey ahead of me. Today’s passage is about God’s trustworthiness and it reveals my untrustworthiness, and my lack of trust…for as long as I permit my thoughts to go where they will, and for as long as I focus on the circumstances: the gray hair, the need for sustenance and rescue, the weakness that results in the need to be carried… and not on the God who has made the promises.

          Remember Frost’s poem about the road less traveled? The road less traveled makes all the difference, but the road less traveled tends to require more effort. When we come to a worry like, “What am I going to do when I turn into a Lexus (LXX, the Roman numeral for 70, or L-Xes), the road less traveled is the one that takes concentration and effort, the one that looks to God instead of looking at the circumstances. Trust is active, not passive. It takes attention and effort. It is as hard as exercising regularly, eating right, drinking enough water, and getting enough sleep. And it is as vital to your health as any of those.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t