Skip to main content

Life Experiment of Faith

 What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me. (Job 3:25)

What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off.  In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.  (Matthew 18:12-14)

          COVID-19 has the world in its grasp – no big deal. But let my dog escape and “Houston, we have a problem.” I thought I’d closed the inner door, so I left the outer ajar to put laundry in the washer The next thing I knew, there was something honey-colored sliding by. It doesn’t happen often, thank God, but that might make it worse when it does. In the end, I think I had five other women helping me try to find and trap her – because she thought it was all a wonderful game of keep-away while I was imagining vultures cleaning up Shiba road-kill.

          So, I can honestly say that I know how the shepherd who goes off to find the one lost sheep, leaving the other ninety-nine on their own. All that mattered was finding and catching her. There was a lot of “Please, God, please.” The world shrank down to the size of a 20 lb. dog. Now, in the aftermath, while she’s chilling on the bed without a care in the world, I am asking myself what I can learn from the incident.

          God did provide. She didn’t run out the gate into the busy road. People did come to help. We did catch her. Some of my thoughts weren’t very gracious – some lacked hope and faith. I was focused on the task, and that’s OK when the task is urgent.  I don’t remember any “if You bring her back to me I will…and if You don’t bring her back to me I will…” There were no appeals to Cthulhu, Odin, high and mighty Science, or “any other god who brings her back to me.”

          I think I’d have to say that I responded correctly by going to look for her. I did show some faith because I didn’t walk away from God to find someone else to help me. I know that there are some people who claim to have walked away from their faith because something bad happened – something much worse than a run-away dog. At the same time, we’re told that there are no atheists in foxholes. We sometimes expect a traumatic experience to either produce faith or kill it. I suspect the truth is that the truth of the faith is revealed.

And what my minorly traumatic experience has shown is that I have faith, but it’s little faith. My focus was more on all of the bad things that could happen and not on God’s coming through. Oh, in the back of my mind, I knew it was likely that everything would end up fine – and it did. But my focus was on my fears.

And that makes it clear what one of the good decisions I need to make for next year is. I need to decide to focus on “the best that could happen” more and grow that sort of faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t