Skip to main content

Play

 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. (Psalm 32:8)

          Today’s passage is one that I need to return to often because I tend to be anxious about directions. It seems to me that I get lost so easily, even with a GPS. Long before GPSes were available, I wanted one. It was supposed to start a mile out with “turn left in one mile,” and work its way down to, “You missed the turn, stupid.”

          September 2015 was a hard month for me. I knew I was supposed to quit my job and come with Dad to Florida, but for me it was like God telling Abram to leave his home and to go a land he didn’t know. Last year was similar, because I returned to Florida without Dad, and had to figure out what to do. I got the place I’m in, and I’m starting to make it mine, but my resources are limited and I’m still trying to figure out what making it mine means. For some people, I think this all comes so easily.

          The point of trusting God is that we’re supposed to trust Him for every step along the way, and for the waits between the steps. And I know – positively know – that God has directed me many times, but the moment the way isn’t clear, I revert to my worry, and it’s not the worry that God won’t direct. I’m sure He’ll direct. I’m also pretty sure that I’ll miss the turn. If I was on the right road, wouldn’t life be going so much better?

          I know better. I really do know better. But knowing better doesn’t silence the whispering thoughts and emotions. As I consider today’s verse, however, the part that scream for attention is the last half, that God will counsel me with His loving eye on me.  Counsel. Not attack, badger, belittle, berate, bully, command, condemn, demean, or judge. He’ll do it with a loving eye on me.

          I read something about grace recently, and I find myself agreeing with the author. If I could really come to understand or to accept grace. If I could come to understand God’s love or to accept it even a little, it would probably revolutionize my life. As I look around, I don’t see anyone else who seems to have gotten these ideas either. That doesn’t give me the opportunity to pat myself on the back, but it does suggest that I should stop bludgeoning myself as if everyone has it right but me.  

          Some time ago, I think I wrote something about kids who go about being kids, playing, and doing things kids do comfortably in the presence of their parents. That’s the picture I see here. Our Father watches us, ready to step in to protect or correct, but the children are busy playing. They’re not worrying about whether their performance. They’re not worried about failure or whether they’re being irresponsible. They’re just playing.

          There is room for responsibility in a child’s life and in mine, but God is watching with a  loving eye. There’s also room for play.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...