Skip to main content

Auditory War Zones

                Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil, or fade – kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded b God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith – of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire – may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. (I Peter 1:3-7)

 

It’s a new year! You’ve survived the first day, while I’m writing this before 7 am on the morning after celebrations of midnight required 4 hours of reducing my world to an auditory warzone. It wouldn’t have been quite so bad if Grace had not chosen last night to become a “normal dog” and stress out over the sheer volume (quantity even more than loudness) of the sonic assault. And rather than praying for the people who were being so inconsiderate in their celebration, I was wondering for whom the barrage might justify the murder of the celebrants. Not in an overly malicious way, of course. I wasn’t imagining bathing in the blood of my victims, it was just an idle (and I hoped, distracting) legal exercise.

In other words, brand new year, same old world, same old people, same old me. I feel a little like the “snowflakes” who kneeled in the streets when Mr. Trump was elected and screamed. And like the many when COVID-19 first hit, who struggled though the fourteen days that were supposed to “flatten the curve” and make everything all better but didn’t. Or like the folks who listened to the amazing clearing of the waters in Venice, and dreamed of a whole new, clean world that they would find when they emerged from their residential cocoons as the moths of a new world.

I know, we know better, but are you disappointed yet? There’s supposed to be something “magical” about new years, new days, new starts. And Peter discusses this in today’s passage. The hope and expectation are natural because there is a new year, day, start, place, and condition out there. We’re not wrong to  -hope. We just tend to pin our hopes on the foolish things

It’s sort of like this. Last night, I took a picture of the last sunset of 2021. It was perfectly clear, not a cloud in the sky. This morning, there might not be a cloud in the sky, but the clouds that are on the ground obscure the view. Isn’t that often our problem? We want the sun or the moon to shine, and we get fog instead. The fog becomes the focus. God has failed us and the day has barely begun. After a couple hours, it will be sunny. What we need to do is learn to work while it’s “foggy” rather than giving up on our hopes and dreams because we can’t see the Son shining in all his glory through the fog of our lives, other people, and the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...