Skip to main content

Do You Want It?

            When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?” (John 5:6)

This verse is from the passage about the man at the Pool of Siloam, who had been paralyzed for more than three decades. The reason he was at the pool was the rumor that when an angel stirred the waters of the pool, if you immersed yourself,  you would be healed. He’d been waiting, but every time the water stirred, others got there ahead of him. He’d been waiting. How could Jesus ask him if he wanted to be healed? How uncompassionate! How inconsiderate! Any idiot would know that the man wanted to be healed. Except…

If he really wanted to be healed, wouldn’t he have positioned himself so close to the pool that when the angel stirred the waters, he could just tumble in? Wouldn’t he have arranged to have someone else help him – someone who also wanted to be healed, so they could go together? And while he might like the idea of being healed, after so much time he was used to being paralyzed. To be healed would mean freedom, but it would also mean responsibility. He was living on the charity of others, sitting at the pool day after day in hopes of healing instead of finding ways to contribute to society.   

It's likely that we are all the man at the pool – have been – will be. I could and should make a list of all the ways I’d like to be healed, fixed, or empowered. Like my project list, I should throw myself into what will heal, fix, or empower me. But… there’s no one around to help me, and for some reason, I can’t seem to get those who carry me to and from the pool to put me close enough so that I can just sort of fall in.

Let’s just draw on something that’s not embarrassing. I’d really like to have a beautiful and bountiful garden that would provide for me, my neighbors, people at a food pantry, and wildlife. To be honest, that would require more land that I have, and the establishment of a full-fledged agricultural farm. It’s bigger than I can handle. If I really wanted to do this, I would learn about soil, about the plants and their needs. There are many things I could, and should, do if I want to have a productive garden, but I can’t bring myself to do them. Oh, if only I had someone who would come along and do the work for me, so that all I am required to do is putter and enjoy! Do I want to do what’s necessary? Do I study soil and work to amend it? No. But neither am I willing to give up the dream, and so I sit by the pool, year after year.

The garden dream was chosen because it’s safe but replace it with any of the things you know you should give up, take up, or do, and the results are the same. Procrastination. We really need to learn to procrastinate procrastinating and take action, or Jesus may have to ask us if we really want what we claim we want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...