Skip to main content

Forgiveness 1

             “This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.’ Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father.” When their message came to him, Joseph wept. (Genesis 50:17)

 

Someone shared something about forgiving today, and while I’m not feeling specifically led to address the issue raised (yet,) I do feel led to look at the subject. It’s been said that the first time something is mentioned in the Bible is significant – it’s important to look there, and the passage above is it: ten verses or 244 words from the end of Genesis. It’s not mentioned in connection with Adam and Eve, Cain, Able, Seth, or any of their family line down to Noah, Ham, Shem, Japheth, Canaan, Abraham, Sarah, Hagar, Isaac, Jacob or Esau. Even here, it’s not mentioned in connection with God. The word pardon doesn’t show up until Judah pleads to Joseph for his brother's life. Excuse doesn’t occur until the New Testament. I’m not sure what to make of that.

But let’s consider the situation connected with the request. Joseph’s brothers had sold him to the Midianites, who sold him to the Egyptians as a slave. They had lied to their father, claiming that he was dead. These deceptions went on for years. Then the famine hit, and the brothers negotiated with a disguised Joseph, who eventually revealed himself to his brothers and convinced his father to move to Egypt, where Joseph could care for him. Jacob and his family had lived there for 17 years.  Think about that. They had lived near Joseph for enough time for a child to be conceived, born, and reach the age to get a learner’s permit. Then, Jacob died, and Joseph’s brothers went to him in terror that, finally, he would take his revenge for all they had done to him. They waited all that time to ask for forgiveness for what they had done.

I’ve told people that I am sometimes like a steamroller. I  turn and ask them, “What are you doing flattened on the floor? Did I do that?” We don’t always realize the damage we cause, but that can’t be true with Joseph’s brothers. They knew. Except for Benjamin (who wasn’t part of it) they couldn’t not know. It wasn’t a mistake. It wasn’t an oops.

Joseph responded that they had meant it for evil, but God had meant it for good. He doesn’t sugarcoat the situation. But more importantly, when the brothers ask for forgiveness, Joseph doesn’t change his behavior toward them. He weeps because, after all that time, they still expect that he harbors resentment and a desire for revenge… the opposite of forgiveness.

Let’s shift from Joseph and his brothers to God and us. How often do we question whether God had really forgiven us, whether we have sought forgiveness, repented, or the means of atonement? How often do memories leap to the mind of sins of the past, some stupid failures, and others cold-blooded rebellions? I often cringe about things I’ve done or failed to do to/for my parents, my sister, various friends, and enemies.

Like the brothers Jacobson, we may put off seeking forgiveness until it’s too late or until we are afraid that the one we sinned against will finally take revenge. Sometimes we are revisited with guilt over something we were forgiven long ago. We don’t tend to live in a world like Joseph and his brothers. We tend to assume forgiveness to be granted – or the sin is forgotten – unless it’s something big. Forgiveness is the norm. Some think forgiveness is even easy. The result is that few of us tend to have a real sense of being forgiven. Even if it’s big, it’s something we’re owed – or almost so.

The brothers Jacobson didn’t have that luxury. Joseph was the #2 man in Egypt. No one would have batted an eye if Joseph had decided to put his brothers to death most horrifically and painfully possible. There were only three people to whom they might appeal. One was dead, one was Joseph’s boss, who trusted Joseph implicitly, and one was God. What shall we make of the fact that they chose to use the dead man in their appeal to him or that – as far as we can tell – their appeal was based on a conversation that didn’t take place?

Were the brothers sorry about what they’d done? Were they just afraid and trying to avoid taking responsibility for their crimes? It doesn’t seem to matter to Joseph. What bothered him was their fear of him and their need to get his forgiveness. And so, the questions need to be asked:

1)      From whom do we need to seek forgiveness? Why are we putting it off?

2)      To whom do we need to give forgiveness? Why are we putting it off? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t