Skip to main content

Theirs Is The Kingdom

             Looking at his disciples, he said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. (Luke 6:20)

             Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:3)

 

                Some people would say that these verses show that the Bible is contradictory or erroneous. Which is it? The poor, or the poor in spirit? Which is it? The kingdom of God or the kingdom of heaven? Which is it? Yours or theirs? I’m going to suggest that it might be both – that there may well have been two mountainsides on which Jesus gave two similar sermons. It may also have been one mountainside and one sermon, but not quoted verbatim and in its entirety by either. Repetition of concepts using small variations would reinforce the point, so Jesus may well have elaborated on “poor” and “kingdom of God” with “poor in spirit” and “kingdom of heaven” and in the historical record, two authors summarized the same sermon in slightly different ways, quoting from different parts. There is also the fact that the quotes don’t contradict one another, and that the culture had different quoting standards than ours.

                But that’s the trivial look. What do these quotes tell us about the kingdom of God and/or the kingdom of heaven? Clearly, you can’t buy your way in. Being wealthy is often seen as being blessed by God, or by the gods. If you read Job, or listen to people today, there’s always the notion that the wealthy somehow have God’s favor, sometimes undeservedly. Either that or God doesn’t notice the evil that the rich do. The poor, it seems to be thought, are nobodies, good for nothing, and certainly unworthy of heaven.

                Jesus rejected that notion. The poor (in spirit) were blessed. The kingdom of God was theirs. The rich found getting into heaven impossible on their own. There are people who take this as their gospel. If you’re poor, you get to go to heaven no matter what else. If you’re rich, you can’t get into heaven, no matter what else. Jesus’ statement that He is the way, the truth, and the life, and no one comes to the Father but through Him doesn’t seem to matter. At the very least, the poor get to take ten giant steps forward before the race for Heaven begins, while the rich are required to wear a backpack that weighs twice what they do.

                Of course, if that were true, all the people out there wanting to help the poor, pay them welfare, provide food stamps, etc. are doing the poor a huge disservice (potentially condemning them to Hell) by trying to help them out of poverty. At the same time, by taking money from the rich, they are helping the rich gain Heaven by impoverishing them. Not quite the outcome the folks doing the “helping” are probably seeking.

                So, what does the saying mean? It means what it says, but not in the cause and effect way that people want it to be. Poverty is not a ticket to heaven or that one is holy and sin-free, and wealth is not a ticket to Hell. But, the poor often have little choice but to trust in God, while the rich tend to not feel the need for Him. Poverty tends to remove at least some of the roadblocks that the rich must face.

                But here’s something else to keep in mind. If you have $1, someone with $100 is rich. Someone with $1,000,000 isn’t likely to think either of them is rich. So, Jesus – the same Jesus who is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and who owns the whole universe – tells us that the kingdom of God belongs to the poor. Which of the three is poor? I can tell you which one is poorest, and which is least poor, but not where the line is that separates poor from rich, especially from God’s perspective. They are all poor. So when Jesus says that the poor are blessed because theirs is the kingdom of God, He’s telling us you, I, the guy next to the train tracks, and Bill Gates all can have the kingdom.

                

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t