Skip to main content

Turning To God

             Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24)

            But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. (Job 23:10)

 

            There is a scene in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court (Mark Twain) in which King Arthur carries a child with Scarlet Fever to her mother so that the mother can be with her when the child dies. The Connecticut Yankee waxes almost poetic about how courageous, noble, and kingly the king seemed to be to him. This was chivalry and manhood in all its glory. As far as I’m concerned, suffering through the rest of the story was worth it for that scene.

            I have the same sense about this last passage in Psalm 139 and the well-known verse from Job. Here is David, turning from scolding bloodthirsty folks back to God and making his second request of the prayer. The first was his request that God would slay the wicked. I don’t find any clues as to when David wrote this, but I wonder if he didn’t start hearing another song as he scolded: “Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands.” Even his request that God would kill the wicked shows a measure of bloodthirstiness. Did he realize that he wasn’t blameless when it came to shedding blood?

            Whatever the reason, it is as if David finished his rant at the wicked, turned to God, and flung himself on the ground for this second request. “Search me… try me… see if there is any wicked way in me…lead me.” I’ve prayed those words out loud, struggled with them, and wept my way through them. To surrender that fully, especially knowing that God may see him as being just as wicked as the people at whom he ranted. But based on what he said before, he can surrender and submit, trusting that what God does will be like what God has done. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t