Skip to main content

Identity II

             Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, (Ephesians 2:19)

 

          Again, Biblegateway.com has provided a passage that at least hints about identity. That means I get to try to say what I was trying to say yesterday, and didn’t, or perhaps to say it better. When someone becomes a Christian, they become a citizen of Heaven. As such, their membership in any other group must – at best – take second place. Or third. Or tenth. Or have no place at all.

          Are you a ______? That’s nice. It doesn’t really matter anymore, but that’s nice. And if you hold on to that identity, you’re dividing yourself away from whatever “them” is involved in the equation – and you shouldn’t expect them to treat you as one of their own when you’ve established your preference of beng a _______ over being a Christian.

          And it’s true that some people elevate one group over another – even using Scripture to justify it. I don’t understand this. Well, I do understand it,  it’s human nature. But you didn’t make yourself ________, so patting yourself on the back for being one makes no sense. Showing pride in an identity makes about as much sense as being proud that you “raised” a 10 lb. chunk of concrete well, feeding it, watering it, taking it for walks, teaching it to speak and do math…

          I’m sure I’m too proud of being a few things, but I also suspect that my pride has to do with negative things. I’m probably more proud of my identity as a loser than I am of being a winner of some sort. But even that is dangerous because we tend to put ourselves in mental ruts when we pick identities. It destroys our freedom. If we are this, we can’t also be that.

          Yesterday, the John Ortberg vlog I listened to was a discussion of identity, in a way. With many identities, the focus is on what those identifying as something are to do. Before he was elected president, Joe Biden told a Black radio talk show host that if the host was having any difficulty deciding whether to vote for Mr. Trump or Mr. Biden, the host “ain’t Black” because all Black people vote Democrat, apparently. Robin Deangelo, author of White Fragility, is among many people who maintain that if you are White, you are a racist. There is no other option because you see the world through your experience as a White person. On the other hand, people of color are forced (due to the sheer number of White people) to experience the world partly from a White perspective.

          All of this involves what we do. What the Bible teaches is not about doing, according to Mr. Ortberg and his guest, it’s about being. It isn’t about our loving, joyous, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, or self-controlled. It is about being the kind of person who is (consistently) loving, joyous, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle and self-controlled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...