Skip to main content

Building Houses

             “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” (Matthew 7:24-27)

 

            Because Jesus said this, I think sometimes we try to make today’s passage all about some spiritual or Christian reality. That leads me back to a idea that  pops up now and then. People have insisted that religion is somehow different – magical thinking, but the reality is that religion and philosophy are both just attempts to understand experienced reality and to provide principles that will allow us to cooperate with that reality instead of fighting against it.

            To put it in very simple and realistic terms, if you insist that 2+2=19,  you are building your house on sand and it is going to collapse around you. The closer you get to 2+2=4, the less messed up your life will be. It’s not just about trusting in Science and having your life collapse verses trusting in Jesus and weathering life’s storms. It is equally true of any reality.

            This is why the current notion is that we can determine what identity or reality we want to believe and expect others to support us in. I’ve experienced this. Years ago, I read Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. It’s a good book, but either my interpretation of Mr. Covey’s words, or his idea didn’t connect to reality. He suggested that we discern our mission statement based on what we wanted to be, or to do, or to have and how we wanted go about being, doing, or having. The problem, again put in rather extreme terms, is that if I want to be a Great White Shark, I’m in trouble. It doesn’t matter how much I want to be one. That doesn’t make it possible. It doesn’t matter how much others support me in my desire.

            As I tried to be,  to do, and to have things that weren’t me, I got frustrated because it didn’t work. Then one day I had an ah-ha moment, and realized that our mission statement had nothing to do with what we want. It has to do with who and what we  are, do, and have. To put it the way another author put it, it’s about being the best me that I can, doing the most good that I can with what I have available. In other words, it’s about keeping as close to reality as we can.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...