Skip to main content

Tassels

             You will have these tassels to look at and so you will remember all the commands of the Lord, that you may obey them and not prostitute yourselves by chasing after the lusts of your own hearts and eyes. (Numbers 15:39)

For a while when I worked at the library, I went to a florist’s at lunchtime on Fridays and got one “fire and ice” rosebud. I put it in the refrigerator and put my car keys with it so I wouldn’t forget to take it home. Some people put strings on a finger, or a rubber band on their wrists.  We decorate or homes or wear specific colors (or ugly sweaters) to commemorate holidays. The Jews were told to wear tassels to remind themselves of God’s commands.

It’s the time of year when I usually write about remembering what God has done in our lives. It’s also the time of year when I tend to write about the idea of decorating for Christmas by putting out (or putting under the tree) tangible objects that represent intangible gifts God has given us. After nine years of not having a place to do this, I have cleared the coffee table and gotten my three St. Nicholases out of the attic. They represent three parts of my ancestral national heritages. I’m not satisfied with it, but the nice thing is that I can keep adding. I’m considering how I might adapt the idea through the year.

If you’ve ever “not written something down” because you’ll remember it – then forgot it – you’ve experienced the problem. Our faulty memories are why we have signs to tell us the speed limit and what road we’re on. And it’s why I’m going to “nuke” the dog’s dinner. So my suggestion for this Christmas is to pick something that you can connect to and idea – perhaps something that will remind you not to be anxious, or to extend grace to your family, neighbors, or strangers you meet during the day. You could also pick something to remind you of what God has done. Ask God to use it to remind you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...