Skip to main content

When The Foundations Are Being Destroyed

             “When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?”

The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord is on his heavenly throne. He observes everyone on earth; his eyes examine them. The Lord examines the righteous, but the wicked, those who love violence, he hates with a passion. On the wicked he will rain fiery coals and burning sulfur; a scorching wind will be their lot. For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; the upright will see his face. (Psalm 11:3-7)

We live in a world in which the question of the first paragraph is being asked. The truth is that we always live in a world where it’s asked. Every generation, every society, more often than not asks that question. What does your answer look like? Two automatic and ineffective reactions are war and withdraw, also known as fight or flight.

Someone asked this on Facebook this morning. I said that I tend to withdraw. I argue (on line or in my mind) but I withdraw. I’ve joked that when others get angry, their vocabulary reduces to four-letter words. Mine tends to extend to four syllables, but at the same time, I’m raising the drawbridge. Part of homesteading/prepping is the notion of being ready for when “it” hits the fan. Being ready to withdraw. Those who do this want nothing to do with “them.”

On the other side, there are those who attack. When the foundations are being destroyed, go to war. Get in people’s faces. Take it to the courts. Get the government to move in and “do something.” These are the folks who blame, shame, name (label), and game.

This isn’t what Scripture suggests. The clearest thing today’s passage tells us is to remember. Remember that God is in control. Remember also the fate that awaits those who stand against God. The other side of that is to remind. Remind those who are doing evil that they will be judged, not by us, but by God. The question that comes to mind is to ask them “What if you’re wrong?”

When the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do? We can lean into God and we can engage others and encourage them to do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...