Skip to main content

Life

           Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. (I John 5:12)

          Imagine a beautiful woman or a hunky guy with a fancy muscle car with some gorgeous landscape in the background. The wind blows through her/his hair, and from the look on his/her face, life clearly could not get better. I don’t watch TV, so I don’t know if they still use that advertising ploy, but social media is full of opportunities for me to become a great writer, a self-reliant homesteader, a better Christian, or otherwise to reach the “life clearly could not get better” point – for a small fee. Maybe you’re not as gullible as I am, and don’t get as many offers.

          Into that marketing maelstrom, various religions and philosophies ply their wares, including today’s verse. And, in true Lewisian fashion, we must consider the options. It could be a lie. It could be an error (or madness on the part of the author.) It could be true. But before we explore that, I need to repeat a claim: religions and philosophies are functionally the same. They both explore the nature of reality and guide their followers in the best way to function within it. The appearance of the model behind the wheel or draped across the hood doesn’t change the car. Neither does the label “philosophy” or “religion” change the observations about the nature of reality and our relationship with it.

          That being said, philosophies tend to be limited. They describe how we can relate to the universe during our lifetimes. Useful, but short-term. Many religions describe how we must relate to the universe during our lifetimes in order to gain eternal life. I know of no other philosophy or religion that makes present-tense claims about life. And this isn’t the only claim about present-tense life made in the Bible. If in no other way, Christianity and Judaism differ from other religions in this manner. We haven’t defined “life” yet, except that in the Bible, it’s not limited only to physical participation or to eventual eternity. It includes both.

          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...