Skip to main content

Unshakable?

               Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, (Hebrews 12:28)

          We’ve made it to the big day, the day on which we should be supremely thankful. And I’ll get back to the gratitude in a moment. First, the author of Hebrews tells us one reason we should be thankful: we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken. Can you imagine? I don’t think I can remember a time, at least as an adult, when my kingdom or the “kingdoms” of my hometown, my county, my state, my nation, or the kingdom of man were unshakable. Even looking at God’s Kingdom, we can see what we think are symptoms of shakiness. Lucifer and his followers rebelled. Man sinned. Jesus had to die. There’s are wars and rumors of wars, and there are prophecies of an upcoming war. We have been told that He will win, and we believe it, but in the meanwhile, it feels a little shaky. The ultimate doesn’t eliminate the current apparent, but (thank God!) the current apparent doesn’t eliminate the ultimate.

          And with that in mind, we come back to the thankfulness part. The current apparent may seem to us to threaten the ultimate, but it doesn’t. What Scripture shows us is that what we think of as shakiness doesn’t actually threaten the stability of the Kingdom. Whether the attacks are big or little, and no matter how hard the shake (of sift us like wheat?), they just don’t shake the Kingdom.

          If God had not allowed Lucifer to tempt Adam and Eve, or if Adam and Eve hadn’t sinned, how could we know that God’s Kingdom can’t be shaken? If the people before the flood had not become set on evil, or Sodom and Gomorrah hadn’t been evil, or Egypt and other nations hadn’t enslaved Israel, how could we know? If Jesus hadn’t come, died, and been raised from the dead, how would we know? The only way we can and will know that God’s Kingdom isn’t shakable is for God to allow what we believe will shake it to have a chance to do so?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...