Skip to main content

Remember

      When the whole nation had finished crossing the Jordan, the LORD said to Joshua,  “Choose twelve men from among the people, one from each tribe, and tell them to take up twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan from right where the priests stood and to carry them over with you and put them down at the place where you stay tonight.”
                So Joshua called together the twelve men he had appointed from the Israelites, one from each tribe, and said to them, “Go over before the ark of the LORD your God into the middle of the Jordan. Each of you is to take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever.”
                                                                               Joshua 4:1-7

      As families gathered yesterday to exchange gifts and feast, you can be sure there were some stories that began "Remember when...?" The word "remember" is used 125 times in the Old Testament. God not only told His people to remember, He gave them memory aids like rainbows, sacrifices, circumcision, and piles of stones. He also told them to write things down and tell their children. In the New Testament, we are told 40 more times to "remember." Both Judaism and Christianity base their celebrations and feasts on remembering.

      Even  our traditions are a form of remembering though actions. Sometimes, the remembering gets lost. A story is told of a man who asked his wife why she cut the ends of a ham before putting it in the oven. "I don't know," she replied. "That's how Mom always did it."

      At the next family gathering, he asked his mother-in-law. "I don't know," she admitted. "That's just how Mom always did it."

      Husband, wife and mother-in-law all turned to the matriarch who thought for a moment then looked at her husband and smiled at the memory. "Well, when we first got married, we only had a tiny pan. We had to cut the ends off to make it fit."

      In our fast paced world, we don't often take time to remember or to share those memories. These last few days of the year are a time to contemplate and celebrate what has been, and to consider what is go to come. What has happened during the past year? What were the big events? What can you celebrate? What do you need to mourn? Take some time to remember the year, to review journals or social media and make a list of positives and negatives for the year (3-5 of each as a minimum.) Pick at least one positive and find a way to celebrate it. Pick at least one negative to release.

      Here are a couple ways you might celebrate and release. Have the head of the household light a candle while sharing a positive, then use that candle to light the next person's candle, passing the flame around the table until everyone has shared. You could also write the positives on pieces of paper and put them on a bulletin board. With enough advance notice, each person could bring an object representing a positive to decorate the dinner table, coffee table or entertainment center. Take pictures of each person holding his/her chosen object and all of the objects together to share among the group or on social media. The negatives could also be written on pieces of paper, which could be burned in the light of the candles. Another idea is to shred the negatives and then bury in the garden or out in the woods. That brings a small positive result from the negative event: food for plants. Pray over the celebration, and pray over the release, thanking God for all and asking Him to turn these positives and negatives into blessings.

 

(Please note that the releasing ceremony, however performed, may not result in the release of that negative. It may do nothing more than signal your willingness (not your ability) to let that thing go. It may be a tiny step in a process that will continue for however long it takes.)


         For my part, more positives have come to mind than I expected and not as many negatives. For the top three positives: Grace came into my life in January; I left my job in September, moved south for the winter and began trying to build a life and career; and I have started a habit of intercession. For the negatives: an important relationship ended last winter (with fault on both sides); my brother died in June thereby complicating life for me; I left the security of my job in September and moved south for the winter.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t