Skip to main content

Throwing Off Everything That Hinders




Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Hebrews 12:1)




     Years ago, I had something in my life that was hindering me. I don't recall what it was but at the time it seemed terribly important. What I remember is that I went to God with it in clenched fists. I told Him that I could not let it go, but that if He wanted me to not have it, He was welcome to come pry my fingers from it and take it. I took it to Him daily. On some days, I could almost loosen the grip with one hand. On other days, it was the other hand. Sometimes, it was not at all. Eventually, I found that I could take that thing to Him with open hands.

      The writer of the Letter to the Hebrews challenges us to throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. This is much the same idea as releasing. So is repentance. Some people see repentance as feeling bad about some sin and that can certainly be part of it. But the word repentance comes from Latin terms meaning "think again." Repentance is changing your thinking about something, turning away from it and toward God. It may involve weeping. I have also had times of repentance in which I rejoiced, feeling freed from something I might not have even realized was harming me until then. There is another word for releasing to consider: forgiveness. We usually think of forgiveness in terms of freeing the person forgiven from responsibility, accountability, penalties or debts. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. The thing forgiveness always does is release the one who forgives.

     Throwing off what hinders and entangles, releasing, repenting, forgiving all free us to run the race set before us.  It's hard to run while dragging a wagon full of people. It's difficult to win a race carrying twice your weight in burdens of guilt. You don't get far chained to the wall or doing the prisoner's shuffle with chains of sin clamped around your ankles.  You can't move forward if your heart stays behind. That was the problem Lot's wife faced. She could not leave Sodom, so she shared in its fate. On the  other  hand, Sarah, Rahab and her daughter-in-law Ruth both turned their backs on the sins of their families, their home towns, their cultures, and their religions and by doing so became part of the lineage of Jesus. [1]  Sarah and Rahab also won a place in the Hall of Faith (Hebrews 11) and Ruth's story is a whole book of the Bible.

     That is how important releasing, throwing off, repenting, and forgiving is. It is the difference between victory and defeat. It is a difference of life and death.



[1] Matthew 1:1-5. Sarah was the wife of Abraham. Ruth's other mother-in-law was Naomi.  "Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab, Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth, Obed the father of Jesse," (Matthew 1:5) Imagine those family dinners and their "Remember when...?s"







[1] Matthew 1:1-5. Sarah was the wife of Abraham. Ruth's other mother-in-law was Naomi.  "Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab, Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth, Obed the father of Jesse," (Matthew 1:5) Imagine those family dinners and their "Remember when...?s"
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t