Skip to main content

Valley of the Shadow of Doubt


                Abraham pitched his tent in the land he was promised, and lived there for years without any of it becoming his. We know that he had doubts and "concerns" because he voiced them. I've been wandering around in the land of words, pitching my writer's tent in articles, stories, and poetry. In each I feel like a stranger. The words flow from my finger tips onto the screen only to be deleted. "Garbage!" my inner critic hisses.

                Such is the life of a writer, I know. I also know that my inner critic is wrong. At least, I think it is wrong. The writing may not be good, but the ideas are. I find myself in a valley of the shadow of doubt. As a shadow, it is not the real doubt, but an insubstantial quantum thing with distorted shape. There are no specifics, and nothing with which to grapple. It is in one place, then another. It dissipates and divides only to reform again. Its reality is in its absence of reality. Light reveals it to be nothing.  

                A true doubt is rare. They tend to be solitary beasts that stand in the road and refuse to give way. As such, they can be examined. A weakness can be found with which they can be forced out of the way. Shadows of doubt are not like this. They travel in packs and even as one, riding the air  and flowing along the ground seeking prey. When someone wanders from well-known paths, or separates from those who support and encourage, the shadows attack - as insubstantial as a thought but with the toxic touch that melts resolve and reduces a soul to shadow and ash.

                The antidotes to the shadow of doubt are light and faith. Faith cannot do it by itself.  Faith without fact is fancy, and faith without works, is dead. Our faith, then, must be in what has been revealed already- in what we know to be true, and we must continue to walk in it even when shadows hide the way.

         This is my lesson today in Mission Faithwalk - that I must continue what I have begun. He has guided before. He has not allowed me to miss my way so far. I guess that means I have some work to finish today - a next step to take. So, with a deep breath - it is done. One e-mail, with one article. It is well-written. It shares a truth that can help people. It is at least possible that the person to whom I have sent it is looking for, hoping for, and waiting for it and will be delighted to receive it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...