Skip to main content

God Made Manifest

He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God. (I Peter 1:20-21)

          Ever feel like bursting into an anthem? These verses deserve one. Think about it. It was all planned before the creation of the world. He would come as proof of God. Because of Him, we can believe in God. Because of the resurrection and ascension, we have evidence, so our faith and our hope in God is well founded.
        Atheists have said repeatedly that if God exists, He should manifest Himself to them, and then they'd believe. Usually, they come up with come humiliating requirements for their manifestation. As I recall, one suggested that a fifty foot tall Charlton Heston should appear. I don't recall where the appearance was to be or what it was to do. The other demands are about as silly.
       I've asked them what would happen ten to sixty seconds after the manifestation disappeared, or for that matter the same time period after it appeared. Would they not decide that it was a hallucination? Wouldn't they conclude that it was temporary insanity? Would they not require repeated manifestations, each more ridiculous than the last? After all, doesn't the scientific method require that the experiment be repeatable under controlled circumstances?  Of course, Persons aren't really subject to scientific method.
         But... God gave them the manifestation they demanded. He gave us the manifestation that we needed. A man who existed historically as confirmed by witnesses  biased both for and against Him. His influence in history is an order of magnitude (or more) greater than any other person's. He died and rose again. Scientifically impossible, but historically verified not only by those who saw Him die and then again after He rose, but by their change in behavior. Yes, some deny, but some deny the Earth is round. Don't let their denials worry you. Just think about the enormity of it all... the plan, the execution  including the execution and the resurrection, all so you could believe, and hope. Gloria in excelsis Deo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t