Skip to main content

Instinct


Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them. (Romans 1:22-32)

          Today is one of those days when I have the honor of being hated because I profess something people don’t like: God gives people their way, and the results aren’t good. If you reject the direction the compass points, you won’t make it to the North Pole. If you reject the truth, any lie will do. If you decided that you, rather than God, are God, then anything you want not only becomes acceptable, but the mere thought that someone might say “No” to you becomes intolerable. 
          In Mere Christianity, Professor Lewis explores the question of whether our instincts guide us correctly. He points out that if we see someone drowning, we may desire to help, but we may also desire to keep out of danger. There is a third thing at work, which judges between those two instincts. That third thing is morality and because it judges between the instincts, it cannot be a mere instinct. Were those two instincts alone in conflict, the stronger would win, but if the stronger always won, there would be no heroes. 
         What seems more important to me than these for today’s passage is his statement that if morality is nothing more than instincts, instincts would always point to something good, and the result would always be good. But instincts, whether mother love, patriotism, sex or the fighting instinct can lead us to good, or to evil. If, for example, sexual instincts are not restrained, it can lead to unhealthy obsessions, fetishes, attraction to someone or something either harmful or harmed.[1] 
          A novel to which I’m listening touches on this. Both the hero, Deucalion (AKA the monster) and the villain, Victor Helios (AKA Dr. Frankenstein) have lived for more than two hundred years. Deucalion has spent a considerable portion of his life restraining his instincts, first in the humiliation of a carnival freak show, and then in a Buddhist monastery. Victor has spent the time developing a master race and indulging his instincts. He has grown bored with the normal. The woman he manufactures for his convenience is the only member of the master race designed to feel shame, because her shame amuses him. When he goes out for a good meal, he must eat it alone, because he now enjoys such delicacies as two litters of newborn rats that he kills by deep frying them. If you read or watch the books, movies and TV shows about the undead, you find much the same thing. Those who have lived too long have seen it all, done it all and found it all boring. Art imitates life, if not on a personal level, then on a societal one. In that imitation, we find that in the end, the choice is not life, but death for one or the other, or for both. 
         Keep in mind that this genre is hugely popular, and the attraction – even of the hero/heroine – is to the undead. People want to be vampires and live forever, even enjoying the idea of doing so at the cost of life to others. We demand to have our way, and God says, “Well, OK, if you insist, but there are consequences, and once of them is death.” Then we go out and proclaim to all that anyone who doesn’t let us have our way should be destroyed…and we pretend that we are the heroes. There is nothing in the description Paul gave that hasn’t been part of our society for as long as society has been.


[1] For those who wish to claim that homosexuality is neither named nor forbidden in the New Testament, this passage clearly points to it and clearly establish that it is not considered acceptable. Now, it is actually demanded that everyone either approve or at least keep silent. The same people who demand approval or silence condemn silence as approval when they look at Germany during World War II. But the Nazis weren’t harming anyone who didn’t deserve to be harmed ….according to the Nazis, and if one didn’t approve of the Nazis or keep very silent about it, one ended up among the dead or worse than dead.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t